3800 12" GMPP Brake Upgrade hurtin my ears...

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Hey guys, I did the GMPP 12" brake upgrade a couple months ago and was hearing some minor screeching from my brakes. Well i thought it was the back ones, so I recently checked them out, and the backs look good. So then I was thinking it was the fronts. After some high speed braking today, the sound go unbearable, and was definitely the front brakes. So what could be causing it? Everything was brand new. And the sound gets worse when everything heats up. So did I do something wrong during install? What could cause this problem and what do I do to fix it? This was my first brake job so it could easily be an installation mistake...i just need to know where to look. Thanx..

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
What type of brake pads did you use?

Remember certain brake pads are very noisy especially when they heat up.

The EBC green stuff has Kevlar in them they are noisy squeaky and annoying as hell.. but brake on a dime...

Try switching out to different brake pads. Also check for un even wear on the pads. This might be an indication of a bad hub and or warped rotors. There is a break in period for pads and rotors..

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Didn't you buy those brakes from me or am I confused again... :(

If you did, I have noticed that our pads sometimes like to get vocal. You can remedy this by installing an orange compound (available from any auto parts store) behind each pad. Also verify that the slider pins are free and the caliper has a full range of motion on the bracket.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Yea, I bought them from you. But wasnt it the same as the GMPP brake upgrade? If not, then my mistake. Is there a name for the orange compound...or is that the name? And when you say behind each pad...do you mean between the rotor and pad...or the other side. Ill also check the caliper and slider pins soon.

I dont really know what type of brake pads they are...but I got everything from Mike K. Sorry if I was wrong about it being the GMPP. I just assumed it was. Thanx for the suggestions guys..

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
No worries; I thought I was losing my mind! :)

The compound (which I really should know the name of) resides behind each pad between the caliper and the backside. If you go to an auto parts store ask for the fix to squealing brakes. It should be a little gel bag.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info