3800 Threw a code, NEED HELP

gt2000

Feb 14, 2008
Cliffnotes: Fired up my car, got a blinking SES light, drove it, wouldn't go away, got it scanned, threw a code (P0300 - multiple cylinder misfire) and I don't know what to do!

Alright, I am sick and tired of this problem so I thought I would bring it up to see if you guys could offer any insight. Well this morning I drove my car to Morton (drove roughly 70 miles) car ran fine both ways. Well I get back to work and when I fired my car up to leave it sounded funny, had a little shake to it, ran weird, and eventually the SES light started blinking. Well this has happened before, and usually went away in a matter of seconds, well this time it didn't! I drove it down the road to Auto Zone and had it scanned and it showed the code P0300 for a multiple cylinder misfire. Well that is what I was expecting.

Now my question to you is: Why is this happening? This isn't the first time either, this is just the worst it has ever been.

Car is a 2000 GT, and only has 21,360 miles on it. Everything is stock with the exception of the K&N drop-in filter. Stock plugs, wires, and ignition coils. I don't know if I have a bad plug or wires or what? I figured that was where to start. Also I have some mixed fuel in the car but don't know if that is the problem. On Thursday I put in 90 octane and this morning put in 87 octane. Could my computer be reading funny because of the gas? For the longest time I ran 90/91 octane, but within the last month or so I mostly have been running 87 octane.

Any ideas on what could be the deal with my car? I don't want to take it to the GM dealership just so they can stick it to me!

Thanks, Zach

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Usually first things to check for the misfires are, like you said, plugs and wires. So pull all your plugs and check and see what they look like, the gap, and if any corrosion. Then check your wires, to make sure they are plugged in correctly, nothing burned on them, and no corrosion. This is the easiest place to start, and its cheap if its just a plug.

Oh....and MORTON rules... :p

probably misfires. that's what happened to my car. i was misfireing and my ses light came on, and then it started to blink, and then it went away. i think when the light blinks, it is saving the code. i think, i am not 100% sure on that. but anyways, like 98 gtp toy said. check your spark plugs. they could be shot. you have a gt, so i doubt the fueling change would do anything. it was mentioned to me before, but if you don't click the gas cap, it sets the ses code. i know you said you filled up this morning. just double checking. good luck, let us know

Zack

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
flashing ses as a rule means dont drive. Something is very wrong. Solid means something is wrong, but it is probably emissions related., or not that serious. As a rule for future refernece, if it blinks DONT DRIVE. Find out whats wrong first. In this case, probably your plugs or wires have taken a crap. you need to find an autotap and find out which cylinders are mising. Once you know which cylinders are missing check the coil packs and see if they are clumped together. If they are it could be that coil.

BC

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info