3800 Good Aluminum Cutting Dremel Bit?

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Hey guys, I have been trying to cut through a couple mm's of 3/8 in aluminum for a project. I have tried a metal porting bit from lowes, sanding bits from lowes, and a metal cutting bit from lowes. All of these work, but extremely slow. I will need to buy about 200 sanding bits to finish the project. Probably like 50 of the porting bits, and who knows for those cutting bits. I am sort of new to dremels, so I was wondering what other options I have if any. I need a bit that will chew through the aluminum quickly. I need to get this project done soon. Thanx for the help.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

There isn't really anything that's going to work well with a dremel. Aluminum needs to be cut at a slower speed, and you need more torque that the dremel has for that to be effective. I get these bits from McMaster that are awesome for cutting aluminum, and work best on just a regular drill. They will last forever, but they are $20-40 a piece. It' cuts through like it was butter.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Their site is not linkable to products, but its in the tools section. I believe it's under machine shop stuff. I got the titanium nitrate coated cutter with 4 flutes. They have a very handy guide up for bit selection. I'll look it up and find the sectiuon then repost.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Three Flute- For aluminum and nonferrous alloys. Mill diameter tolerance is +.000", -.003". Choose TiN-coated or TiCN-coated end mills.
Four Flute- For medium- to high-tensile steels, stainless steels, and high temperature alloys. Mill diameter tolerance is +.0000", -.0035". Choose TiN-coated or TiALN-coated end mills.

I guess I used the 3 flute, they call it an end mill, and it's in the parts finishing section. I used a 1/4" shank, so it could also be used on a porting tool. They're expensive, but they will last a very long time if not abused. I abused mine and it lasted about 20 min. By abuse I mean, using it on the wrong type of material and pushing it too hard. They are made of a hardened material and are brittle. It cut through aluminum like butter, but sucked on removing thick steel welds.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list