hpt to bin

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
I don't have a bin file, that's what tiny tuner is looking for. It couldn't read hpt unfortunately.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish, supposedly takes care of cold starts on e85 -
This is a subject of heavy debate even though the science says that E85 most certainly starts to have major evaporation issues below 32*F. Mostly because some people never have a single cold start issue. "Issue" being a car that takes more then 5 seconds of cranking to start. This could be due to differences ranging from altitude to how much compression your car is running. I know that I had zero issues with my L36 block SSM90 supercharged setup starting in my home town of Sioux Falls. When I moved to the higher altitude Rapid City area it was a bit harder to start but still very manageable all the way down to -30*F. Now with my new L67 setup my car took 30 - 45 seconds of cranking and throttling to get it running any day it went below 10*F. After doing the change I will outline below I now have instant cold starts regardless of outdoor temperature. Your results may vary.

1. Get a copy of your current tune in .bin format. This is because the table we need to access is not available in HPTuners. I am also fairly sure it isn't available in DHP. If you use DHP to tune getting a .bin file isn't an issue because that's what it saves anyways. If you use Hptuners you will have to email their support team a copy of your current tune and request that they convert it to a .bin file for you.
2. Download and set up Tiny Tuner. There are numerous guides on how to do this floating around.
3. Open up your .bin file in Tiny Tuner.
4. Go to Fuel < Base Fueling < Crank Fuel vs Coolant Temp.
5. Multiply the 10*C cell by 110%
6. Multiply the 5*C through -40*C cells by 120%.
7. Save the file and flash it to your car.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
[MENTION=710]m_dogg[/MENTION] Glad to hear you didn't upgrade your HPT. They took out the BIN edit/save option with the newer HPT upgrade.

The easiest way is to get a bin version is to read your current PCM with a PT. There isn't a simple file conversion from HPT to BIN (that I'm aware of). Shoot me a text or PM. I think you still have my digits.

davesgtp

Nov 2, 2017
you can still downgrade your hpt, look over in gpforums for the dropbox link of all the softwares. the old hpt will let you save in bin i believe. i know it lets you open them for sure. i used to use that as a way to still use tiny tuner and still use hp to flash.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Before you go through all this, try a new tank of fuel. Flex fuel is transitioning from summer to winter vapor pressure. If you go to a slow moving station, you likely have a very low vapor pressure fuel. Low vapor pressure equals hard starts.

Vapor pressure is why the gasoline content varies. Some stations do a better job of keeping the vapor pressure high without having to lower the gsaoline content. I find that Speedway is much better than smaller brands.

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks for all the input, TG got the job done :D

The station I go to has quite a few e85 customers every time I'm there. It had the highest ethanol content from all other stations I water tested in the area - 80% winter, 85% summer blend.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
You missed what I'm trying to say. Higher ethanol likely means lower vapor pressure which means harder starts.

Most stations need to go down to E70 to keep the vapor pressure up in the middle of winter. You should expect you hard starts to get better this weekend with the warmer weather.

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
You missed what I'm trying to say. Higher ethanol likely means lower vapor pressure which means harder starts.

Most stations need to go down to E70 to keep the vapor pressure up in the middle of winter. You should expect you hard starts to get better this weekend with the warmer weather.

Gotcha. I was forced to fill up at Shell the other night and had no problems starting in the morning. If I remember it right that station was about 65% ethanol last time I checked. Makes sense.

davesgtp

Nov 2, 2017
Also, you can go back and fourth with upgrading and then downgrading, then back up if you need to. every once in awhile if i need to change a vin or need tiny tuner for something. ill downgrade back to 2.x, upload a bin into a hex editor, change vin, save, upload to TT, make necessary changes, save, then upload the bin to HPT and flash. Then for the nicer scan functionality of 3.x ill re install the newest version of hpt. trust me you wont get froze out of being able to go back and fourth, ask anyone whos been using HPT for a long time, they know what im talking about.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info