3800 considerations before doing cam?

jmdz06

Dec 19, 2008
summer's almost here and i'm dying to do a cam swap. my engine has 92k miles on it so it's not quite dead yet. i just want to know what i should look for or if there is anything i can do prior to the swap that would give me an idea if doing the cam swap would even be a good idea or possible.

i've been told to run a compression test, which i am going to do this weekend or next week. beyond that though, i don't know what else i can do/look for.

i plan on running an aggressive cam but i'd also like the car to last me for another 2 years or more :rolleyes:

here are my current mods, sorry i haven't listed them here on the ilgpc

mods

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Since you will be in there, I would recomend also doing at least the cam chain and tensioner while in there. Better yet, toss out the money for a rollmaster kit and omit the tensioner all together. It really doesn't like to stay alive very long with a big cam anyhow.

What kind of lift does the cam you're going with have? At the least you also want to change the valve springs to 105lbs or more depending on lift.

I

imported_snoop

change the valve springs, take the heads off and clean the pistons. take the valves out and clean the head the best you can. change the timing chain. make sure that you keep the same lifter-pushrod-rocker setup the same as you take them off, but if you get all new stuff, dont worry about it.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Lot of good suggestions here...How much are you looking to spend the install.
The true roller timming chain is nice but expensive and in my opinion overkill. Im still running a stocker in my application.

1st prioity is money...How much are you spending?

2)Are you pulling the heads? If you are take them to a good machine shop and have a valve job completed and new 105-130# springs installed.

3) Along with the compression check it would be wise to hook a mechanical oil pressure gauge but not nessessary. You can install a new oil pressure relief spring and plunger....Cheap and highly recomended! You need a new gasket for that aswell. Clean and inspect the oil pump gears and plate for abnormal wear. (its in the timming cover)....It will be off anyway, then renstall the gears and pack them in vasoline so you can pick up oil quicker on start up.

If your bottom end is good a mild cam is ok...Too large of a cam ar a worn bottom end may have the result of pumping a old mule with steroids...

Before you proceed, get everything you need for what you are doing and stick to the plan.....

A

Aarons_GTP

i was just woundering which cam you were going with, and if this car is your daily driver? I just finished 2 cam swaps, and from experience they are very time consuming and very difficult. But while I was in there I replace the timing chain, tensioner, and 105 springs.

jmdz06

Dec 19, 2008
What kind of lift does the cam you're going with have
approx .550

1st prioity is money...How much are you spending?

i have 700 or so set aside, but after going through the things i think i need, the total is more like 1,100. if i could keep it under a grand, that'd be great

Are you pulling the heads? If you are take them to a good machine shop and have a valve job completed and new 105-130# springs installed

they are coming off and i'm expecting to find one or both cracked

it would be wise to hook a mechanical oil pressure gauge but not nessessary

already on the 'to-do' list. seems like i should buy the gauge and install it a few weeks before the install to see if everything is ok...

i was just woundering which cam you were going with, and if this car is your daily driver? I just finished 2 cam swaps, and from experience they are very time consuming and very difficult

the cam i'm going with is based off of specs from Dyno2003 simulator-it's somewhere between the xpz and the INTENSE S3. yes it is my daily driver. i am expecting the swap to take a couple weeks or more, but that's ok. if all goes well with mine, i'll be doing another one with a friend right afterwards

i am in the middle of my cam swap, i am replacing damn near everything, timing chain, tensioner, cam, lifters, pushrods, heads, valves, springs, retainer, keepers, valve seals.....the list continues, lol

this is what i'm expecting to happen to me as well ;)

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Thats a large cam but will work. Post the specs. Is it a varible duration? If theheads are comming off have them flux them for a moddest fee if your concerned about cracks. When you take them in for the valve job they will/should anyway.

Also have the mill down the valve guides .100" and get some vitron seals for PRJperformance.com @ $24.00 a set. Headwork(porting) is recomended at that size cam to get the full perfomance benifit but certianly not manditory pending how you look at it. Cams that size were created with free flowing heads. However, if you have headers and a longer exhaust duration you can save the ported heads for later. Possibly when you re-ring the pistons and change the bearings.

As you probably already know your going to need new tourqe yeild head bolts. The cam intall kit has all the other bolts and a new timming chain. The ARP heads stud kit is reuseable and you wont have to chase the head bolt threads....Just clean them well and use the moly lube. Those metal sandwiched headgaskets are nice for high boost but Fel pros will work. You'll have to weigh that one out.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by jmdz06@May 12 2004, 10:33 AM
summer's almost here and i'm dying to do a cam swap. my engine has 92k miles on it so it's not quite dead yet. i just want to know what i should look for or if there is anything i can do prior to the swap that would give me an idea if doing the cam swap would even be a good idea or possible.

i've been told to run a compression test, which i am going to do this weekend or next week. beyond that though, i don't know what else i can do/look for.

i plan on running an aggressive cam but i'd also like the car to last me for another 2 years or more :rolleyes:

here are my current mods, sorry i haven't listed them here on the ilgpc

mods
Unless it's been rebuilt, your trans is going to hate you with all that extra power on 92k miles. I'd start putting some dough away JIC.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info