3800 SES CODE- P0420.....hehhe..

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I got a code on my car, P0420....it is a cat converter code......

Any info for me on this?

If my cat is bad I will be pissed. I JUST BOUGHT A DAMM RTDP 1 year ago!!!!!!!!!! ONLY 13K MILES ON IT!!!!!

How much will it cost to cut the cat and put a 8-10 piece of tubing and get a 02 simulator? WIll our guy at FAIR do it?

WIll my exhaust smell like eggs now if I do this?

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
I JUST BOUGHT A DAMM RTDP 1 year ago

Heres your problem. I've had this dp for almost 2 yrs, and just started getting this code recently. Its not an actual problem, it just means your cat flows to well. So instead of getting the piece of straight pipe, just get the 02 sim and unplug the 02 sensor, but leave it in the exhaust. That would be cheaper. I just live with the code for now.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Those R/T's don't seem to hold up too well, it might be that they are made to just meet OBD2, and a little age on them wears them out quick. I'm not so sure about it really being the cat though. I started throwing a code 520 (crosscounts not sufficient) after I fabbed up a new DP/hi-flow cat combo. I suspected a reversion problem because the exhuast had a funky drone to it. I put in a reducer inside the pipe that goes from 3" to 2 1/2" and the problem went away. I wonder if it's something like that. Royal, I remember your car being pretty quiet inside during normal driving. I don't know why, but mine is the opposite. With the headers is the car any more droney inside? Also, if the exhaust cools off too much before the rear 02 it may cause that code. You may want to wrap the DP anyway, so it's worth a shot.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
ive had an Original rt/dp/cat on my car since they were around, maybe 3 years now?

never 1 code thown..knocks on wood :banghead:

ive had it on stock headers and exhaust, then I added a 3 inch exhaust after the cat, then I added headers?cut dp, for the headers, so my cat is still hooked up.

the only thing I can think of is my setup is a 3 inch dp to the cat, then 2 1/2 exit for the cat, then I go back to 3 inch, then back down to 2 1/2 after the Y.

I know its screwed up, but it works for me with no Lights or codes.

maybe thats why my exhaust sounds differnt compared to others supposedly like mine. :confused:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info