3800 Claybar Success...

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
I am going to attempt to clay bar the car in the next week or so and wanted to see if I could get some feedback from people who have done it.
I have a good understanding of the process, but any tips would be great.
What I was curious about was the brands of kits you have used and what has worked best.
My car is 7 years old and needs this badly so I want to make sure if I go through all the effort of doing the whole car, I use a good product that will work.

Thanks
-Rich

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by staceyyearsich@May 11 2004, 11:21 AM
I got MOTHERS and it SUCKED ass, but hey mayb I just don't know how to wash a car, and it didn't get my grim off, oh and it cost a good penny for that crap
I got CALIFORNIAS CLAY BAR....I think that is it? :blink:

Clay barring your car is great but requires a lot of time AND DONE CORRECTLY!!!!!!!

You need to first wash you car really, really, well....Not just a quick rinse and a little elbow grease.

Then you need to get every square inch of you car w the clay bar.

I did my car twice in the same day. I then followed it up with two coats of wax.

Holy carp did the clay bar remove a ton of embedded junk from my paint. My finish was ultra, ultra smooth. VHGTP saw it as well as a few other guys donw at ISU. It was like it just rolled of the assembly line. :D

I think i spent about 7 hours or so wahsing it twice, clay barring it twice, and waxing it twice. Well worth it once a years or so.

VHGTP

Regular
Nov 10, 2008
Originally posted by RoyalGTP+May 11 2004, 01:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RoyalGTP @ May 11 2004, 01:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-staceyyearsich@May 11 2004, 11:21 AM
I got MOTHERS and it SUCKED ass, but hey mayb I just don't know how to wash a car, and it didn't get my grim off, oh and it cost a good penny for that crap

Clay barring your car is great but requires a lot of time AND DONE CORRECTLY!!!!!!!

You need to first wash you car really, really, well....Not just a quick rinse and a little elbow grease.

I did my car twice in the same day. I then followed it up with two coats of wax.

Holy carp did the clay bar remove a ton of embedded junk from my paint. My finish was ultra, ultra smooth. VHGTP saw it as well as a few other guys donw at ISU. It was like it just rolled of the assembly line. :D

I think i spent about 7 hours or so wahsing it twice, clay barring it twice, and waxing it twice. Well worth it once a years or so. [/b][/quote]
i remember that... his car was soooo freakin shiny!! it looked awesome!

I-Dom-In-8

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Nw side
Ok this is what you wanna do.

Wash car with Dawn soap. This takes all the old wax off.

Clay car

wax car.

You will Notice a Huge Differnce.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Originally posted by RoyalGTP+May 11 2004, 01:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RoyalGTP @ May 11 2004, 01:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-staceyyearsich@May 11 2004, 11:21 AM

I think i spent about 7 hours or so wahsing it twice, clay barring it twice, and waxing it twice. Well worth it once a years or so. [/b][/quote]
Claying the car is a pain, but well worth it in the end, when i did my car last month i spent an hour alone just on the front end getting all the crap off, took me about 5 hours total to do the whole car, but mad did it look great afterwards. Amazing what the car looks and feels like with absolutley no wax on it, then looks like brand new after about 3 coats.

HUNTERDOG

Addict
Jan 26, 2008
Claying the car can be easy! Make sure you're in the shade and the car is cool. Wash the car with some good car soap but dont rinse it. When shes all lathered up take your clay bar and dip it in the soapy water and go over the whole car. Keep dipping it so it stays lubed up. Don't let the soap dry either, keep it wet. If you want you can also use a spray and shine as a lube too while the car is still soapy just mist the car and go to town with the bar. It shouldn't take but an extra ten minutes to do the whole car. Do your windows too, it cleans all the crap off of them too. I do mine all the time and its smooth as silk.

I use 3M clay bar or Eagle One professional clay bar. Meguiars bar is pretty good too. I use Final Inspection or Eagle One spray shine for the lube (when I use lube).

Note: If you drop the clay bar throw it away! It picks up all the little rocks and crap and it will scratch your car!

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Did mine yesterday (sunday). I don't spend a lot of time on the doors or fenders. You can feel the bar as it slicks the paint up. My doors and fenders always seem smooth to me.
The bad part was I started using touch-up paint after claybaring. When I was done I didn't have a dry panel I could wax!! Then last night the tree dropped junk all over it so I have to start over.
Also got my engine detailed, but never got to the interior. have to see what kind of time I have tuesday as thats my day off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info