3800 Anyone ever hear of this company?

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Company is "ABC Mobile Welding"

I got the number for them through a friend in the MFBA... From what my buddy was telling me He arrives in his truck w/a generator and a TIG Welder and can do whatever welding is required... I'm thinking of using him to install my Chromoly Roll Cage ... I Just called him so I'm waiting for a call back to get pricing, but from what my friend said he doesn't charge a hole lot (the other price I have is 90 bux per point... figure 6 points attached to the car, plus 4 points where the bars interesct... that's 10 points just for a 6pt cage... plus I don't know if the guy considers the points where they weld to the car 2 points since you have to weld the mounting piece to the car then the bar to the mounting point... so could be up to 16 points :( )

I figure when I get my cage installed I tear all the carpet and interior out myself... and paint myself once it's done ... but just wanted to check if anyone here's ever heard of this place

From the sounds of it the guy that owns it has been welding for quite some time and has done in car roll cages before... plus the topper is he can do it in 1 day and actually comes out to the location that needs the welding... I figure with the cage, as long as I have all the interior out, there'll be plenty of room, and I can mark where everything needs to be welded ahead of time ... (I know it probably won't be as good of a job as a pro roll cage welder... but if you know how to weld isn't that all that really matters? As long as I take the time to do the prep work and measurements and stuff?

Thanks

I

imported_Ron Vogel

That sounds like overkill, you don't need it TIG welded; but it'll be nice. Any decent welder should be able to do that with a MIG. The TIG is really only needed for small detail type stuff. As long as the MIG has enough power, they should be able to get good penetration and clean welds.

I

imported_GraFFix

Just a word to the wise..whoever welds your cage in make sure they protect the windows from splatter..they will leave pits in the window and it is unrepairable. This happen to my bros supra when they welded in his cage..he didnt even notice it untill he went to get tints...it left tiny air bubbles where the weld splattered..the tint guy told him there was nothing he could do...

Just a heads up...

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by horist@May 3 2004, 03:58 PM
The roll cage is Chromoly :( From what I've heard a MIG welder will only work on Mild Steel, chromoly requires a tig weld ... I'll have to do more research into it though...
Honestly, I don't think I've tried welding that, so yeah definately check that out. Even my little mig let me weld on steel, aluminum and cast iron, so talk to a pro about the chromemoly (it may not even be any big deal). And no, you can't borrow my welder...it wouldn't have enough power for welding a cage anyway. If anything, I'd suggest talking to someone that fabs up motorcycle frames, they would have the most experience on how the performance of the welds needs to be for safety.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• horist
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list