3800 Looking for a fix for the fuel level sensor

I

imported_GraFFix

Well I need to fix this fuel level issue ive been having for a while..its finally bugged me for the last time.

On the 97's theres a known issue with the fuel level sending unit or whatever its called...I believe its a easy fix just a resistor but you do have to take the whole pump unit out of the tank to get to it.

Ive checkd around the sites im "allowed" to go to here at work but thats not to many...heh I was wondering if anyone has done this fix or saw a writeup somewhere.

basically what happens is when my gas level gets to low..say under a 1/2 tank the gas gauge will sometimes read correctly but 75% of the time when it gets that low..the minute you start the car the gas gauge goes as high as it can..meaning its showing that the tank is full as can be. this can be a bad thing ya know..especially when your car is about to run out of gas but your DIC shows you got another 270 miles to go

so when I have a full tank my gas gauge reads fine when i get low it tends to show full again..lol

Has anyone done this fix or know where i can view a writeup?

thanks

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
You need to replace the fuel level sensor. There are two models and the dealer needs your VIN to determine the correct version. Although from my experience, they all work (97 - 99+) interchangably.

Quick writeup:
-disconnect battery
-relieve pressure
-open trunk and remove carpeting to expose access cover
-pop open access cover. Best to work inside the car using the passenger pass though.
-disconnect connectors and 3 fuel lines. Squeeze fuel line tabs
-remove ring holding fuel pump assembly
-slowly raise up and remove assembly. Be careful not to spill gas.
-remove level sensor (see pics)
-install new sensor
-replace everything back in reverse order.

Here are some pics:
http://community.webshots.com/album/46048381njBvgE

Should take about 30min, but take our time.

HTH

J.E.T.
'97 Red GTP

I

imported_GraFFix

Thanks JET but I know that there is a fix for this instead of replacing the whole unit. and I know its just a stupid resistor..but i cant find the writeup anymore and im blocked from most websites here at work :(

Although if the unit is cheap enough I might as well go that route. Did you do this already? how much was the part?

Bah..Id check the link you gave me but im blocked as usual..heh Ill look at it at home.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list