3800 anybody with the 1.6 roller rockers.....

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Hale, It's messy, but there's a better way. I used to run a mechanical cam on HS roller rockers. I set a basic lash cold, then did a running adjustment. There are clips made to reduce the oil spraying everywhere, but with a warm engine, adust the rocker until it starts clacking, then turn it in a little until the clacking stops, do every rocker the same way. Sounds a little unscientific, but the lash settings they give you are estimations anyway. Setting the lash this way allowed me 500 more rpm up top over setting them to spec.

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
Yea they actually give you a torque spec but I think that is bogus cause if you don't set them with the valve's closed your torque specs won't matter. I actually thought about doing that Ron but I was going to cut the extra valve cover's I had open where the rockers are just so that I could adjust them and not make a huge mess.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by gtphale@Apr 27 2004, 05:09 PM
Yea they actually give you a torque spec but I think that is bogus cause if you don't set them with the valve's closed your torque specs won't matter. I actually thought about doing that Ron but I was going to cut the extra valve cover's I had open where the rockers are just so that I could adjust them and not make a huge mess.
Yeah, I thought of cutting an extra set of VC's to do that too. But that motor/car, I could run around it quick with the lash tool and only took a few minutes. I doubt the rear valves could be done too quick, not to mention the mess on the exhaust.

I

imported_snoop

the way we do it on the camaro is the valve has to closed but just starting to open. when the exhaust is open and the intake is close, just as the exhaust starts to close and the intake starts to open, then check the lash. but it has to be at the second it barely touches. but for these cars, what is the lash set at. i know it is not the same as the camaro. what is it .030?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list