3800 cam or rockers

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
It was missfiring bad and we determined that to be an intake manifold leek and replaced the sc base gasket then the misfiring got a lot better but it still has a slight missfire but it is not a consistant one and it is only at an idel

I have a msp cai, full custom exhaust dynomax, tb spacer, msd coil packs, prj ignition whires, 160 t-stat, ngk tr6 plugs, 3.25 pully, and 1.9 rockers

plugs whires and coil packs have less than 3000 miles on them the whole car has about 40,000

also what would be the corect amount of boost for my curent configuration on a 60deg day i see like 13 to 13.5 on my stock digatal guage and the same on my autometer

I

imported_GraFFix

If you have a cam and never got the PCM tweaked then your probably throwing a ses light right? I believe the code it sets is P0301 or is it P0131..lol I forget but a cam will set a misfire code..

If you had the PCM tweaked then it could possibly be your plugs..what plug are you running?

Originally posted by 1quick98_gs@Apr 26 2004, 12:16 PM

I have a msp cai, full custom exhaust dynomax, tb spacer, msd coil packs, prj ignition whires, 160 t-stat, ngk tr6 plugs, 3.25 pully, and 1.9 rockers

Uhh simple process of elimination.

Strat with putting the coils back to stock, then the wires, and then replace the plugs.

Maybe you just want to replace the plugs first because they are so cheap and it doesnt ever hurt.

Stock coils and stock wires have been proven to handle even Zooomer's car. I don't think you need upgraded those at all, it just creates more problems.

Good luck!

If its only missfireing at idle I dont see what the problem is. Now if it misfired at idle and WOT then I'd be worried.

W/ a 3.4 pulley intake exhaust my car misfired at idle also. When I first bought the atap I could sit in the driveway in N or P and see the misfires. It was never enough misfires per cycle to throw a code. During driving and as soon as i applied gas they went away.

Took it to the shop and they could find no problems either, and said that thy have seen this on other GM vehicles.

Tim

I

imported_snoop

quick98, relax. if you didnt have misfires then be worried. it is absolutly normal to have misfires with a aftermarket cam. it is IMPOSSIBLE to not have a misfire unless you have a aftermarket PCM. the car was made for the mild stock cam that is in the car to run smooth and catch every cylinder when it fires, when you put something bigger in, it throws everything off. it just wasnt made for something bigger in the valve train. so relax, it is normal. like graffix said, get the brain tweaked. now if it is ideling like crap and just isnt right, start to look for a vaccum leak, or something unplugged (like i did. dummy me sorry lisa :rolleyes: ). but for the main part it is normal.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info