3800 Tips on pulling the engine...

randy,
you dont have to pull the engine to check the flexplate. just pull the inspection cover off and then take a screwdriver and slowly (well.. you wont have a choice but to do it slowly!! LOL) and turn the engine. you can pry between the plate teeth and the trans case. you will be able to see 98% of the plate as you rotate it around and should see any cracks or breaks. also look for bolts missing or loose, check them as you rotate around. put a mark on the plate with a marker so you know you have made it all the way around and have checked all the bolts. try this first before pulling it.

Pulling the engine is not for the faint of heart. just make sure everything is disconnected (wiring, intake, heater hoses). you should drain the coolant since you will have to disconnect the heater core lines. Disconnet both pos and neg of the battery. disconnect the alternator. Also you will need to pull the axles and disconnect the power steering pump from the block. you should then be able to undo the motor mount bolts and pull the engine out. take the hood off to make it easier too.

let me know if you need anything... wish you were closer so I could help ya out...:(

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
there's a bell housing bolt thats a pain in the ass. its facing the opposite way of the others. We used 3 long extensions to get it out.

don't forget the rear knock sensor either, we got the front one and forgot about the rear one, luckily we went real slow and were able to catch it before it broke from the connection.

if you pull the engine, yes you will need to drain the trans fluid so you might as well change the filter while you are at it.
also, like dole mentioned (and I did when i said all the electrical connections... ;) ) dont forget the knock sensors, as well as the oil pressure, oil level, trans connections and the trans gear selector pawl.

use the inspection area fist, I bet you will see your problem if there is one without pulling the engine... ;)

00 GTP Debadged

Regular
Dec 27, 2008
Thank you Chris for the advice. I pulled the inspection cover off and guess what. Two major cracks in the plate. You can see one here. The other one is just a little past this one.

Randy

crack.jpg

well... at least you now know you WILL need to pull the engine... better this way then pulling it and finding out you did not have to.
bummer that you have some cracks tho :(
if you had access to a lift, you would not need to pull the engine, just drop the trans... ALOT easier that way.

in any case, I would not be driving it till you fix that.

peace bud!!

Chrys

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info