3800 Question for my buddy

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
One of my friends has got an 03 Mach 1 Mustang, and he recently put a K&N intake in it. He was telling me that he was coming home one day from a show and he was getting off the expressway and when he was slowing down his car just died. And he said if he put the car into the car where he thought it should be at that speen and let off the clutch it would start back up. I thought it sounded a little crazy, but i drove it myself and i took it for a rip and when i let off in 4th gear it slowed down and then just died and i waited a couple seconds and put it in 3rd and let off the clutch and it started back up. Now it can't be there car cause it's only for 3500 miles on it. Beautiful car. but he said that there was sone kinda screen with the intake that he had left off cause it wouldn't fit. For anyone who knows what i'm talking about, does that make any sense?? Were gonna throw the screen on tomorrow and see what happens, but i jsut thought that was real weird.

Jim

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
it's *possible* that the K&N filter was overoiled ... then the oil would coat the wires on the MAF thus reading incorrectly... the screen he's talking about most likely isn't on the intake manifold it's prolly just the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) ... you can take some electrical cleaner on a cuetip and clean the wires inside the mAF (but be VERY careful... very very small wires and very sensitive)

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
And in starting the car up while is rolling: its pretty common practice with manual trannies.

When I used to ride dirt bikes and I would stall it or it would be low on gas and it would have fuel starvation, i would pop it into 1 lower gear than i was in, drop the clutch and have it start right back up.

I remember having to push a friends car awhile ago with 3 other people when his starter motor died. He turned the car to "on," put it in 1st with the clutch in, when we were pushing it as fast as we could, he dumped the clutched and started it up just to get home, where he could change his starter motor. It was pretty funny, the 4 pushers hit the back of his car at the initial "jerk" of the motor starting, and some kid fell when the car took off.

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Well we took it apart and put that screen in, now just waiting for a good day to take it out and take it for a rip. My buddy refuses to drive that car unless he knows for sure it's gonne be a perfect day out. He was just telling me that he found a twin turbo kit for his car and he's thinking about getting it once his warranty run out. That thing is gonna be sick when it's all done.

Jim

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info