3800 Cooling mod

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Very interesting...Looks like they use up to 15 cfm though. Ron can you find a electric 12 volt pump to keep up? Or just a air tank? Seems like it would cool things down though...-50* Just thinking....Could this be incorperated into an IC system or be the bacis of one? Air to air?

Thinking out loud here.......

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Who were you reffering too Hale. Ron or me. I thought Ron was ICed. I am. Not a bad idea. Its that or a bag of ice......

I dont have any experience with those. We use AC's for the electrical panels/controls...

How much are they Ron. 15 cfm is going to empty that tank out quick.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I was originally thinking air compressor, but there is a company out there experimenting with these for beverage coolers. I'm not looking for, let me rephrase; I'm not expecting IC like cooling. However if I can drop my SC temps 50 degrees a few tenths are to be had. At IDD, I was busy measuring temps of blowers and exhuasts on several cars. Average blower temps run about 150 degrees. This prbably wouldn't allow a quick cool down, but may prevent the blower from reaching that temp. I did some more searching and found a company that makes a low volume system operated on vaccum. For non-ic'd cars this could be a fairly inexpensive way to get to a smaller pulley, for ic'd cars this could super-cool the charge temps. I'll keep loking into it, if it's unpractical or too expensive it'll get shelved. BTW: average prices are about $200 for the basic setup, experimenter's kits are pricey though and run about $750.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I think this guy's giving me the brush. I returned a respose since this, but he's shooting for involvement with the big 3 mfg., I keep rolling with it until something happens...

Thank you for your interest in our Vacuum Vortex (VV). The application you
intent to use the VV is pretty far from the Universal Vortex mainstream
activity, and therefore it is impossible for us to evaluate its market value
and potential. Obviously we would like to have this info from you. After
that the UVI will be ready to discuss the extent of our involvement in your
project.
Regards,
Lev Tunkel,
Universal Vortex
Technical Director.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 2:07 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Vortex applications for automotive

I belong to several car clubs that specialize in supercharged
applications. The efficiency of the supercharging is diminished as boost
increases due to the heat it generates. For track use, in-between rounds
it's normal practice to ice down the superchargers, but a vortex
solution here may work. The general application would be the Eaton M90
supercharger. Many, drill, tap, and plug a coolant passage that runs
through the blower to help isolate it from engine heat, but this only
lowers blower temps by about 20 degrees. My solution would be to tap and
plug those passages, and drill/tap a hole on each side of the SC to use
that passage as an airway for a cooling tube. The inlet to the SC
provides a constant and reliable vac source that increases as demand
increases on cooling. I'm looking to see if it may be possible to find a
50+ degree drop in the SC housing temps (they normally run 175 degrees)
and if the vortex principle could work with only a strong vaccum source
to power it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron Vogel - UPP Motorsport.

Urbsnspices

Oct 7, 2008
Wow ron, we think alike. I ran across these in some of the trade publications that I get. I have always wanted to get my hands on one of these and play with it. Unfortunatly all my money went into my last install and Im gettin married soon. No more money or time to spend on crazy ideas.

Check ebay, I have seen all sizes of these vortex tubes for 50-130 bucks, not bad. Just search for vortex or exair(e). There is a small size that is used as portable air conditioning for a biohazard suit.

Here is one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

I was actually thinking of getting a small compressor from harbor freight and running it off an inverter.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by UrbsnSpices@Apr 27 2004, 04:11 PM
Wow ron, we think alike. I ran across these in some of the trade publications that I get. I have always wanted to get my hands on one of these and play with it. Unfortunatly all my money went into my last install and Im gettin married soon. No more money or time to spend on crazy ideas.

Check ebay, I have seen all sizes of these vortex tubes for 50-130 bucks, not bad. Just search for vortex or exair(e). There is a small size that is used as portable air conditioning for a biohazard suit.

Here is one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

I was actually thinking of getting a small compressor from harbor freight and running it off an inverter.
Saw it and bookmarked it too. The only problem is that most of the things so far on EBAY are cabinet coolers, they require a higher flow than could possibly be practical from a mobile compressor. There is only one firm (UVI) that has a vaccum vortex, and I've been back and forth with them a bit. I'm getting them specs on the M90 right now to come up with a system. I may tap the SC right above the end of the SC inlet. At that point the vac signal should be the highest. I still have to work out the resultant effects of a major vac leak in the intake tract for this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info