3800 HP vs Tranny life

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Hey guys, I was following along in the thrasher thread about how people destroy their trannsmission if they are beating on it with cam. So my question is, What is the "limit" for a stock trans. I understand that if you beat on it constantly then it will go out a lot sooner. But lets keep it more related to track runs. Ex...You can race XXX times with XXX horsepower before you blow your trans. I understand it wont be real specific, but what are your guys opinions. Is there a common hp that ends up killing trans? All opinions welcomed.

Every car is different.

I dont think its all related to HP, but more so your driving style.

I dynoed 291 when DHP programmed my pcm. Went to the track atleast 2 times a week. Ran a LSD w/ nittos.

Did one to many burnouts and especially the ones going around corners. This resulted in a snaped roll pin in the diff. The diff sent small metal shavings into the trans and clog'd a valve.

The next trans went when I was leaving a stop sign to hard, snapped a input shaft. After the shop tore the trans down they discovered that the roll pin had snapped again.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
guy on clubgp with 350+hp 450+ tq is running stock tranny...hundreds of passes and it's still fine

I find that to be pretty impressive. Im guessing that is whp, since he probably dynoed those numbers. That means that he is pushing almost (-40) twice the stock hp.

I dont think its all related to HP, but more so your driving style.

Yea, I completely agree with you, but thats why I asked about track time only. Im sure many kids grenade their tranny with a stock engine, but just tearing it up all the time. Doing one tire friers and 3-1 shifts constantly. While others are pushing 300+hp but rarely spin their tires, and race their cars more at the track.

Im just curious of the actual limits of the transmissions ability to handle hp. Rather than it being able to stand up to a street beating.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Um....did you ignore the first reply? I also read that thread a while ago. And what about the kid that just dynoed 325 on a stage 1 turbo kit in his gt. He had a gtp transmission, and it held a 2XX hp run, then a 3XX hp run, another 324hp run and then a 400+ dyno a second later. So our trans can obviously handle power.

I dont know if our transmissions are as weak as commonly advertised. I definitely think that they are pushing the limits, but it looks to me, that if you take care of the tranny on the street, you will be fine at the track. Just my outsider opinion. Any others?

dont know if our transmissions are as weak as commonly advertised. I definitely think that they are pushing the limits, but it looks to me, that if you take care of the tranny on the street, you will be fine at the track. Just my outsider opinion. Any others?

There is no recipe to follow that will save your transmission. Hell you could not race it ever and if a particle of dirt or small metal shaving gets stuck in the valve body its going to burn up the trans.

Look at how many people on this club alone have been through 2 - 3 transmissions, so take notice. If you plan to go big, then plan on rebuilding a trans in your future.

I've snapped the roll pin on 2 differential, now there is no telling if this happened at the track or just driving on the street. I snapped the input shaft on a non WOT run from a stop sign.

We're telling ya it will/can happen, but you keep bringing up the few people that have the HP but are on stock trans still. I'm going to bet ya that if you counted the number of people w/ the HP that have broken a trans its going to far outnumber the peps that havent.

- Tim

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
superchargedgp - Dont be taking personal offense to my comments, it wasnt suppose to come off as rude.

The only real reason for the thread was to see what the limits are on the stock transmission. Im just curious about the oddballs. What have they been able to push without damage. I completely plan on getting a new transmission as soon as I reach that level. Im just curious on the "records" for the tranny.

Lighten up guys, and dont take my comments as personal attacks ;)

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
I've run 15-20 times at the track and my trans is barely holding on.

I've only got a 3.4 pulley, full exhuast and intake work done...

ask J/O how many passes he ran at the track before his gave out, I know it was alot.

But the problem is I'm not even an agressive driver on the streets...and its going...so they are all different.

I wouldn't bank on everyone else's numbers cause if thats the case, I'm at least 100 passes short of my trans beind dead

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info