3800 New to GTP scene...

DeadHorse

Apr 15, 2008
Hey guys, I'm originally from O'Fallon(Southwest IL), and visit home occasionally, and have moved down here to Louisiana. Just had my Acura permanently tattooed with SUV tire tracks and purchased a 97 GTP. I am falling in love with the car :wub: and have fround some things that I would like to get done to it. Since most here have done some modding to thier vehicles, I have a few questions.

1. HID conversions, anyone done it to the Grand Prix? B)
2. DRL, anyone removed the "feature" from the 97 GTP?
3. Cold Air Intake, best bang for the buck.... <_<
4. Removing U in exhaust, does it require any serious "tube bending" to refit pipes together? :unsure:
5. Body kits, anyone seen a shop carrying these? :blink:
6. Hood scoops, get true inductions or dressup? :huh:

Thanks guys(gals). :D
DeadHorse
C. Depping
Red 97 GTP, custom floor mats, steering wheel cover, and various air fresheners, haha

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Well welcome to the club. I will try and answer what I can:

1. Probably
2. Dont know
3. FenderWell Intake (FWI)....most people just run a pipe from the throttle body to the fenderwell. If you remove the stock airbox you will see the giant hole in the fender. It is cheaper than any kit, and brings in the coldest air possible.
4. Removing the ubend just requires cutting and welding. Look at these pictures for a better understanding of the mod:

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Scre...gory_Code=GPEXH

5. Yea, there is a body kit or two out, but I dont pay attention to those.
6. You option. The real ones will look better and suck in colder air for your intake, but will cost you more.

Enjoy your stay :D

DeadHorse

Apr 15, 2008
no kidding.
Anyone have an old 3.4 pulley that they don't use anymore? maybe using 3.25 now.....
Also, i have a question about PCM's.... I'm assuming that I will NEED a case learn when installed, correct? I don't exactly think that taking a computer out and putting a new one in without it knowing where the crank is is such a hot idea unless I do it in the parking low of my tuner shop. But, I am coming from Classic hot rods, to import tuned monsters, to these (i don't know what to label them yet) type of cars. I am very happy with it though....
:lol:
:blink:

Thanks guys

-C-

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
I'm assuming that I will NEED a case learn when installed, correct? I don't exactly think that taking a computer out and putting a new one in without it knowing where the crank is

You dont NEED one, but its a good idea from what ive been told. Unless im mistaken the reason for a CASE learn is for misfires. So that the pcm knows which cylinder is misfiring. If you dont have misfires then you dont need to worry about the CASE learn. Correct me if wrong.

DeadHorse

Apr 15, 2008
Thanks, that just let me know that it needs to be done, just not right away. Having done many engine rebuilds, if the PCM might be causing misfires, then it needs to be "aligned", any degree of separation from what the PCM thinks the crank is and what it actually is can cause not only misfires, but fouled plugs, MAF errors, etc. I'm 99.9% sure of this. I guess you could go almost a month without having it done, but gas mileage would suk! I highly recommend that you get one done if you upgraded your PCM. Even though you may not be damaging your engine right away(say your only off by a hair of a degree) you are losing HP and mileage, not to mention the excess carbon you are not burning by slightly off-timed piston ignitions. I also got a second opinion before posting, my friend (GM Certified mech.) says you could probably get it done for $20 - $40 and is worth the time and the sense of comfort.

Oh, BTW, after taking the engine halfway apart I think I'm falling in love!!! :rolleyes:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info