3800 Disabling Automatic Headlights

Feb 21, 2008
Hey guys, have a question for you all. I have a 2002 Grand Prix GTP and I've disabled the DRL's, but I cannot figure out how to disable the damn Auto Turn-On of the headlights. I hate them I hate them I hate them. :angry: :angry: :angry:

To disable the DRL's all I had to do was locate the headlight module box, then slide a piece of plastic between the relays so they wouldn't meet each other and turn the DRL's on. Now there are 3 of these modules in the box, (2 on top and one on the bottom), now the DRL's relay module is the top right one, but I don't know which one is the relay that turns the Auto Headlights on and off. If any of you know how to do this could you please pass this information on, it would be greatly appreciated.

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
pop the panel on the left when you open the door its where the fuse panel is but on the drivers side.

youll see a metal heatsink with a blue? connector in it.

pull the connector out, your done.

your headlights will still come on at night, but not during the day- only when its dark.

and to shut them off completely, trip the headlight switch between the 2'nd and 3'rd position- watch your lights reflect off something and youll get a feel for where to set it.

Feb 21, 2008
But does the DRL fuse control the Auto Turn on feature? Also does this fuse affect anything other than the lights? I don't want to have my brake light stay on all the time.

I know I sound really picky about this, but hey I spent 30 thousand dollars on a car and I want it to work the way I want it to, I hope you all understand, and once again thanks to anyone and everyone for helping me with this!!!!!!

antpearl

Regular
Nov 21, 2008
Palatine
Pulling the fuse does completely disable the drl and auto headlight function. However, this does not work with all model years. It did work with my 00 by I have yet to try it on my 02. In some model years, it would make a constant clicking sound. Try it and see.

With the fuse out I had no problems for over a year.

pulling the fuse does don't work on 2001+ to disable the auto headlights and drls.

to do this, you know where the security led is on the dash? near the windshield... remove that panel. the light sensor is under there. it has a goldish color to it. after you remove it (it is clipped in), you need to spoof it. Basicly, the sensor changes resistance depending on light. you just need to put a resistor in where the sensor was, that is the same resistance that the sensor is at full light.

That was the first ever mod i did to my car, and that was a while ago. I forget what that value is now. if i find out, i'll post it here.

Feb 21, 2008
Hey guys, just wanted to do a little updating on this situation. I pulled the DRL fuse from the passenger side fuse panel, waited til it got dark lastnight and started my car. After reading the last 2 posts here I was kind of doubting that this would work, but to my utter amazement it did in fact work!!!! :D :D

Just wanted to send another huge thanks to all that responded to this post, you guys are the greatest!!!!!! :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info