3800 It sucks but I have to do it.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
THis whole motor thing is pissing me off. I have no time what so ever to do this project. I am putting my whole family in a loop borowing cars and messing up thier plans as well. :(

My mom and step dad keep bitching at me wondering when it will be done, the mess on the drive way, the parts in the garage, whose car to use tomorrow, etc, etc, etc,....... :angry: :angry:

SO I have decided to let a mechanic fix it for me. He said he should have it done by SAT or MON if I get it to him by THR.........Plus, I just dont have all the tools to do the job. Air tools would be nice as well. :blink:

The thing is, I was figuring when Id actually be able to do this and I am booked solid every weekend for some big event, IL teaching test, family party, GF, etc....

At this point get my car back ASAP is more important then the dough I have to fork over.......ITs a tough choice but I have to do it. :( :( :(

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Believe me, I know exactly what you mean. :( I haven't had a lot time to work on my car (with the same problem) due to family, illness, and work. I finally had last Sat afternoon to work and I got it all torn apart. Now I have to put it back together. This whole breaking down experience came at a bad time for me. I expected to break down at some point, but this was bad - bad timing. I have just about satisfied my craving for modding trying to fix her. I'm ready to put down the wrenches and concentrate more on family matters.

Anyway, good luck. I'll email you the torque procedures if you still need them.

J.E.T.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by Mike K@Apr 12 2004, 01:44 PM
I'll do it if you want. I have a full garage with air tools at my disposal.

You are replacing the headgaskets I assume?
To bad I didnt break down in arlington hights were my GF lives... :(

IM about 35 miles away in Chicago Ridge, near Oak Lawn....

Yes, Im replacing the head gaskets......but The intake manifold gasket was cracked and I believe the TB gasket is messed up too because I had coolant all over my SC rotors :blink:

While im there, might as well check and do the Head gaskets.....and take a look at my pistons....which hopefully arnt cracked. :unsure:

The thing is, I need my car ASAP.......I just cant keep doing this a couple hours a day till its fixed.....Plus, ive never really done this type of engine work b4.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by gtphale@Apr 12 2004, 02:41 PM
Now you understand the charging of doing mods and getting tired of doing the crap for others. Plus your own.
Before opening our shop in 2002 I used to do work for fellow club members for free. That was a mistake. I begrudgingly gave club members an inch and they eagerly took a mile, filling up all of my free time with work on their cars. When we first opened the shop we started with a very conservative rate of $35.00 an hour. Where were all the club members that were so eager to have their car worked on? Gone and the few local members that did have their cars worked on would either try to complain about the price, ask if we would spot them some work for awhile (no kidding), or, and this one takes the cake, ask if they could wax my car in exchange for a full upper engine rebuild. I kid you not.

One local member took me for $1500 in the fall and that capped it all off. 95% of my business with the shop and with the online store is not local. That astonishes me as we have one of the biggest clubs in the country.

BTW, I am referring to SHOCago, not ILGPC. Just so I don't confuse anyone... :)

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by CoolGTX@Apr 12 2004, 04:43 PM
im wondering if this is due to the T/B. Ive been told by another person with a ported T/B have this problem, which was due to the T/B leaking fluid, which ended with him doing heads just like you.

coincidunce? :huh: <_<
IM thinking its due to that stupid F'ING TB spacer I put on there....Leaked once and I caught it....

Now when I pulled the engine apart the SC rotors had coolant all over them as well as the top of the intake manifold........which can only be caused by the TB leaking, CORRECT??????? :blink:

Im thinking this is my problem more and more.........

My lower intake manifold gasket had a piece missing to.....maybe a combo of both did me in? WHat do you think?

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
IM going to take apart my TB and spacer and look at it all again.......now that the F'ing engines back together and I was going to bring it to a mechanic.....

But if its just me getting rid of that spacer, putting in new TB, SC, and lower intake manifold gaskets.....I can do that. A HELL OF A LOT CHEAPER TOO.

Or, do you guys think i should check the heads still.......the more I talk about it, the less it sounds and looks like the heads are the problem.

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
you can dry it all out and spray with some lube before you start it up.Will probably run rough for abit but will be ok. You can put it back together and then do a compression test and see how your heads and head gaskets are doing.But I would go down and change them. Only a few more bolts to get down to that. About an hour or two of work.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Apr 12 2004, 03:58 PM

Yes, Im replacing the head gaskets......but The intake manifold gasket was cracked and I believe the TB gasket is messed up too because I had coolant all over my SC rotors :blink:

So what did the TB inspection turn up? Did you use a ZZP spacer? Could you tell if it was the SC side of the spacer that leaked or the TB side? Looks like the same guy that ported your TB did mine too :( I'm starting to see a bad trend here........

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Hey, I'm also not seeing a good trend.../the TB porting isn't going to cause a leak, duh. The spacer is solid and would't let a leak to the TB. In the last month, between here and club gp, I've seen almost a dozen instances of the engine flooding with coolant from one thing or another. This is the only instace of those that had a ported TB. Hell, it even happened to my father-in-law, which I got stuck working on. I understand the concern, but this is a bogus rumor to start. I have to say something in my defence. I don't want to to come off in the wrong light, but I've spent a considerable amount of time, and money to develop TB's. So much so that I've actually lost money on it.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Also, the TB side of the spacer cant leak....because it has nothing to leak. No coolant ever sees the TB after the spacer is installed. Therefore backing Ron up even more, because the leak would have to be occuring on the otherside of the spacer. So the TB has nothing to do with the leak, whether ported or not.

The only problem I can see is if you guys didnt use RTV, like is recommended in between the TB spacer and the SC. The gasket will get soaked and fail if RTV is not used. So make sure you use it the next time for sure.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by 98 gtp toy@Apr 12 2004, 07:31 PM
Also, the TB side of the spacer cant leak....because it has nothing to leak. No coolant ever sees the TB after the spacer is installed.
You are correct...after thinking about my original post the TB side can't leak unless there's a hole in the spacer :eek: so bad on my part. I also have to clarify that the TB "porting" wasn't the cause of my leak, but the choice of "addition" sealant used on the gasket.
PS Ron
You didnt loose %10 as much money as I did so don't even go there.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Cool, I won't. Just to add though. JET came by tonight so we could fix some stripped threads on his SC inlet. Turns out the spacer he had leaked and probably caused his engine problems also. He wasn't to happy about it since he just bought new heads. The gasket tore at the water jacket side. He used no sealant on a stock TB gasket. If anyone wants to engineer a better gasket for the TB it would be much appreciated. I'll be tapping and plugging my water jacket this weekend after IDD.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by Jamie231@Apr 13 2004, 12:11 AM
Did anyone ever think that maybe when you took the T/B and spacer off thats when the gasket broke?
I can only speak for JET's, because I was there firsthand. You could see the gasket torn and popping up before we took off the spacer. The TB came off first, and the spacer was still on.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I was in no way implying that rons TB did it..........I attribut it to the spacer which DOES allow coolant to go through on both sides to an improper seal......

I kinda leaked before and we had trouble tightening it with the spacer in there before.

personally, I think the spacer sucks now. To hard to get a super tight seal.

My lower intake gasket had a crack in it and a lot of rubbery pieces were just hanging on there.....the gasket was on its last leg by far....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info