3800 Putting new Gaskets on...how to clean and scrape

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
yes scrape them clean... when I did my heads last year I used some pads my dad had from work (not real abbrassive but sure made it easier to get the material off) ... i'll check tomorrow see what they're called ...

I think i've heard of people using scotch brite pads too (some say don't use anything like this cause it's too abbrassive, some say it's fine... )

just make sure when you're done you get all the gunk outta all the cylinders.

Also make sure all the water and gunk (but mostly concerned with water) are out of the bolt holes... when I did my heads I cut a line in one of the factory (the old ones) head bolts and would tread it in then pull it out a few times (so the line acted as somehwere for crap to go)

I also used an air tool attachment to blow air into the holes (canned air from any electronics store works too) and lots of paper towels stuck down into the holes... you want to get ANY water out of the bolt holes

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
scotchbrite pads work well for me on TB's, etc.

I've also used a dremel on a low speed with a very soft attachment to clean up the rest. I'm not sure I'd use one of these though unlless you are real careful as the wrong attachment/speed and you could eat up more than just the left over gasket.

Charles

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info