3800 Engine is FUBAR.....Cracked piston or head gasket!

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I need help. Bad....

SO tonight I was driving onto 290 and I floor it and got a huge ploom of white smoke coming outa my exhaust pipes! :( I immediatley pulled over and white smoke started to come out of my hood as well.? :(

The car was having trouble wiht idle and idling all FUBAR for the short time B4 I shut it down. THere was white smoke coming outa my oil breater cap when I lifted the hood up as well.

So, at this point im wondering what exactly happend to my car. White smoke equals coolant, right? :blink: SO im thinking I blew the head gasket? Correct?

I did not hear anything pop or a loud noise soo...........??

At this point I do not know what to do. I have really never pulled an engine apart in my lifetime yet. I was wondering if someone could come over to my house in Chicago Ridge and lend a hand pulling apart the top end of my engine and figuring out what the hells going on and what to do next. I could pay you for your help as well. Im basically looking for someone to help guide me through this process. I will do all the grunt work and so forth....I just need someones knowledge and experiance.

Im just looking for some to help me determine whats wrong and what I need to do to fix it. :(

I do have a lot of tools over here.

Please, Please call me or PM me if you can help me out........

Im going to go cry now.....

708-707-6881

S

sr71_rgl

Not that I have any experience in this area or anything :rolleyes: but yes, white smoke means coolant has entered your combustion mix and from what you mentioned I'd say a lot in your case. You never mentioned how the car ran on the way home. Did you tow it? Cars have been known to run on a blown head gasket but it's living on borrowed time. There used to be a guy on this site who could knock that job out in a day or so but he's recently hung his wrenches up due to some BS drama where he was probably going out of his way to help someone who didn't appreciate it. Lucky for you there are some other good wrenches on this site who may be willing to lend a hand...best of luck.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Seems to be a lot of this going around lately. Got your message, I'm thinking head gasket. Pull your plugs to see if it's isolated to a cylinder or bank first. My father in law just had this on his Olds with a SC 3.8. Turns out that the FPR messed up on the highway, dumped a bunch of gas and popped a head gasket. Anyway, check the plugs first, and go from there.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
How does the FPR mess up just mess up?

Yeah, I talked to Jared(BLITZU) and he agreed about the head gasket. Thanks again Jared.

SO im going to start to take apart the engine tommorow and see what happens.

DOes anybody know where I could get those Torque numbers for all those parts I need to torque down.

SC, intake Manifold, head bolts?

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Apr 10 2004, 10:52 PM
How does the FPR mess up just mess up?

Yeah, I talked to Jared(BLITZU) and he agreed about the head gasket. Thanks again Jared.

SO im going to start to take apart the engine tommorow and see what happens.

DOes anybody know where I could get those Torque numbers for all those parts I need to torque down.

SC, intake Manifold, head bolts?
Anytime ;) I wish I could be more of a help, and like I said, get in contact with Scott or Ed, they will also be able to give you all the torque specs you're looking for.

Also remember, send me a PM or call if you need any help if you decide to tear it down.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Heres the story...Update

I started to pull apart the car and My SC gasket is all cracked and crumbled. :( SO the intake manifold had some coolant in it. I pulled the plugs and they had some oil on them...two of them were really covered good. :( Last time I did a spark plug change (12k miles ago), they were clean as a whistle.

SO I pull the intake manifold off and the one gasket had a good crack and some of the rubber pieces were missing or falling apart. :( a

Now I think i might have messed a step up here....I forgot to drain the coolant (slip of mind) and now when I remoced the intake manifold it all drained into the top of the engine :( ...but I figure im probably all right since im going to be taking the heads off soon and changeing all the fluid......then cahinging the oil again for a second time after a few miles are put on the car.

Now im not sure how to take off the rocker covers and heads.....do I have to remove the ALT and the FRT bracket that goes over the valve cover?

Im going to my GF house to pick up my jack and stands....then to my fathers to pick up my oil drain pain and stuff.

Call or PM me if you can lend me a hand this week sometime or maybe next sunday. I can take off of work a day if anyone has a day off this week.

thanks,

708 707 6881 cell

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
I've got all the torque specs from valve cover to head bolts. There is also a pattern to tighten the bolts to be aware off. Shoot me an email if you need something. I'm right in the middle of this myself. I also had coolant in the lower intake manifold.

My parts are coming in tomorrow and Tuesday. I need to get this done.

Best of luck.

J.E.T.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info