3800 Did i just kill my breaks?

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Lets just say yesterday i had to do a hard break from 120-45. Right after i pulled off to the side of the road, to look at the breaks. Of course it smells like sh**, not to mention there is smoking coming from the back breaks, and it couldn't break for anything right after. So i let them cool down and everything seems to still break fine. Is there anything i should check? There isn't any pulsations or anything yet to say i warped them but still. it's a little unnerving that they were smoking. Anything i should do? Thanks guys

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
That is normal. If you do high rates of speed and brake hard. The pads start to heat up so that was the smell of the brake pads and the smoke was a nutural occurence of friction!. Also you experienced what is commonly known as BRAKE FADE. OUr brakes are very weak and are notorious for that phenomenon. That is why ,most opt for the brake upgrade.

antpearl

Regular
Nov 21, 2008
Palatine
The things you need for the break upgrade are as follows: Better bads, stainless steel brake lines, larger rotors and perhaps slotted/drilled rotors. The larger kit and everything else are available at
www.pfyc.com
www.gmpartsdirect.com

There is an 11" front rotor upgrade that really provides the best solution. The drilling and slotting helps dissappate the heat quicker so that when things do get hot, the heat doesn't linger thus making the brakes feel 'soft'.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
You need the 11.9" brakes if you want a setup that's acceptable for a car this weight.

Cross drilling and slotting on a car that's not for track use increases your braking distance and is just for show. Those rotors also have a significantly shorter life and are much harder on the pads.

The reason the car couldn't brake after you stopped that hard was because you most likely boiled the fluid. You are going to want to replace that fairly soon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info