3800 Symptoms of a bad belt tensioner

RynosGP

Nov 10, 2008
What are the symptoms of a bad belt tensioner? I've got this rattle sound coming from the engine that I can't find for nothin. It only happens when I'm going up a hill even a very small hill from a stop or going real slow and I lightly accellerate. I'm talking just slow cruse accellerate. It's loud too. It sound like something rattling back and forth real fast. It's really annoying. Anyone experience this?
Thanks in advance for you help.

Thanks,
Ryan

RynosGP

Nov 10, 2008
My cars got 162,000 on the clock. It's been doing this for a while but I've tried everything I can think of to figure it out. It's hard to pinpoint becuase it will only do it while driving. I thought it was the coupler at first so I changed it with a ZZP one about 6,000 ago. It's really weird.

Thanks,

Ryan

RynosGP

Nov 10, 2008
I always forget to tell details. The Tranny doesn't have as many miles on it as the motor and the rest of the car. It's only got like 70,000 I believe. If it was the halfsafts would I feel it in the steering wheel? I don't feel the rattle I only hear it. Also it's very very rappid. It only does it with very very light acceleration up an incline. Could it be maybe the flywheel that's lose? It almost sound like the rattle sound of the ABS kicking in but it's louder. If this description helps.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• R
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list