3800 That's it i'm selling my car

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
<Rant Mode=On>

I'm so f***ing pissed off right now at my car...

Quick story of my transmission woes

late 2001 my stock trans breaks...
Feb 2002 have a new built trans installed
July 2002 built trans breaks, have fixed under warranty, put new torque converter in (brand new) and upgrade to even better internal parts...
April 2003 last built tranny starts slipping after I do heads/cam (2002 I ran just nitrous, 2003 just heads/cam) so I get another built tranny from another company
April 2004 Built tranny starts slipping before I even get a run in at the track w/my new motor

This year alone I've gotten:
a built 382 stroker LS1 (which dynoed below where I wanted at first but later dynoed closer to my goal of 450rwhp and 470rwtq)
12 bolt differential
slicks, nittos, skinnies and all the wheels needed
8pt roll cage

and now the transmission breaks AGAIN on me!

and to top it off I still need to get my 1/4 panel fixed!

I'm seriously contemplating just making the car a show car for the rest of the year... at least that way I can't break anything else... at least I hope :(
<Rant Mode=Off>

Ok... I feel better now... I love the car ... but this is just pissing me off... if it was little stuff fine... but i keep breaking major parts of my drivetrain!

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
If it makes you feel any better, my good friend had a 89 lesabre a lil ago. His trans went bad when he did a one wheel burn out on some gravel (not on purpose). Well he had a transmission rebuilt and put back in and it broke, then a rebuilt one from chicago (reputable company) sent down and put in, then he had that one taken apart and fixed, then he had it taken apart and fixed again, then he got another one, and then...do you see where Im going. He has had to take the car into the transmission shop 8+ different times within a year. He always did a break in period and was rather light on it. I beleive some companies just should not get near a transmission. Since then he has sold it and got a 94 z28...but i still beat him :D

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Have you considered just switching over to a 200-4r? From what i have found so far a bunch of guys have these built trannies running deep into the 9's. TTP also has a built tranny that they claim is holding up to 9's right now. Go to LS1.com and search "built transmission" then look around for a thread about builing an A4. There is some decent info in there. Seems like building a 200-4R or going to a TTP built tranny would be a way to go.

BC

I

imported_snoop

horist, listen up cheif. what trans do you have. how fast are you going. i thought you said 10's. i got a guy who does trannys for modifieds and the outlaw cars(7-8 second cars). here is my #, call me if you havent killed or gave up on the car yet. 708-268-9068. that is my cell. call me and i will see what i can do. sound good.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
snoop and jamie et al. thanks for the info, I'm waiting to hear back from FLP regarding the tranny (it was a Stage IV trans:() not sure if I'm going to have the 4L60E rebuilt or do something else yet...

I've been thinking more and more about going TH400 but the price of the trans + build + conversion parts to retrofit a TH400 in my 4th Gen F-Body can approach 2-3k :( (ok just checked looks like it's about 1400 for the tranny w/trans brake, but then I need a converter, plus new driveshaft, plus the kit to make it fit my car :() In all likelihood I'll probably upgrade to a TH400 next year and just run the 4L60E this year...

not sure what went yet in the trans... just know it won't hold 2nd gear ... hopefully it won't be much to have it repaired since it's already got upgraded internals... so I'll just have to pay for the replacement parts and labor ...

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
yup still have reverse... the way it's acting up is weird.. it's not totally shot but definetly seems like it's slipping...

I watch my trans temps religously and temps never got above normal... cool weather w/traffic =150*, cool weather and highway driving =130* ... warm weather w/traffic=180* , warm weather and highway=150*

so if it was slipping really bad i'd think the temps would heat up ...

Basically the way I noticed was tuesday I went to take off from a stop light that was on an uphill grade, gave about 40% gas and it was like my foot was going on and off the gas... so it may be slipping a lil in 1st too.. not 100% sure ... but it would start fine, then RPMs would go up to ~4000 (which isn't necessary out of the ordinary w/my big converter) but then it would come back down then go up then down...

WOT testing the 2-3 shift wasn't happening... was like I was hitting the rev limiter but I wasn't (much slower, rev up drop rpms erv up drop rpms like it was catching then loosing grip then catching)

I've thought about the 4L80E but that things huge and not many people have done it in 4th gen F-Body's (at least not many I've read) ... plus when it gets time (like it's not already :( ) to go that route definetly going TH400 w/trans brake

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
I'm not a trans man but I think Jamie231 is on to something....Clutches or bands....Maybe its time to move up to a blueprinted one(bust a nut)...I would stick with the 4T60E or equivelent....I think youll miss the releyability of the overdrive.

A couple things that I learned....Have an extra clutchplate installed to handle the torque....This you probably already have done....Also, the valve body pressure regulater steel plunger wears/distorts the aluminum valve body hole causing some fluid blow by and ultimitly insufficient pressure...So many rebuilds, yours was probablly replaced but for around a $100 its good to replace..There is a core exchange. Wherever you get this one done I would be asking these 2 questions.(if applicable)

I feel your fustration..Good luck Mike

I see alot of tranny shops suggestions. You ever hear of Turbo Terry...?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by rob@Apr 8 2004, 02:09 PM
I'm not a trans man but I think Jamie231 is on to something....Clutches or bands....Maybe its time to move up to a blueprinted one(bust a nut)...I would stick with the 4T60E or equivelent....I think youll miss the releyability of the overdrive.

A couple things that I learned....Have an extra clutchplate installed to handle the torque....This you probably already have done....Also, the valve body pressure regulater steel plunger wears/distorts the aluminum valve body hole causing some fluid blow by and ultimitly insufficient pressure...So many rebuilds, yours was probablly replaced but for around a $100 its good to replace..There is a core exchange. Wherever you get this one done I would be asking these 2 questions.(if applicable)

I feel your fustration..Good luck Mike

I see alot of tranny shops suggestions. You ever hear of Turbo Terry...?
You mean the 4L60E?? He would decimate a 4T60E just by putting it in gear with that beast. :lol: :lol: :lol:

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
shifts feel good, same as normal ... but could still be the TC ... it locks up fine though so the clutches are ok... Converter was rebuilt last year when the trans was put in...

Ah well what's done is done... hopefully it'll be back on the road in a few weeks (since it's down anyways I'm going to try to get the body work done during the downtime too)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info