3800 Project mayhem is home

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
I went out today to my grandparents and brought home my 83 Hurst/Olds that me and my dad are re-building. The motor is almost complete and we want to be able to drive it when it gets in. So today i brought it home and took the clay bar to it and gave ti some wax and shined the rims.(note, the car need to be repainted badly, i'm just doing this to save what i can of the body so i can just fix it with Mr. Bondo and not have to replace pannels) So anywho i threw it back under the car cover, and there she waits until the weekend when i can put the suspension. I gotta keep trying to get it through my dad's head that a 10-bold rear-end withh not hold the power this thing is going to produce. So this year will be just the motor in the car, and the suspension stuff on. Next year will be the trans and hopefully a 12-bolt rear-end or i wanna see if they make a Ford 9inch for my car. then the next year will be paint and juice and she will be complete. God i cannot wait. Well just thought i would share, i'm pretty excitied about it.

Jim

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Well the motor started off as a 72 350 rocket i belive(not sure on year) and i mean it started off a the biggest peice of crap you will ever see. So first we bought a Edlebrock heads and sent them to the same guy whose doing the motor and he port and polished them to put out an extra 70hp. then we started buying all the goodies for the motor, like a holley steet avenger 770cm carb. racing cam, all MSD ignition stuff, chrome altinator, 7QT oil pan, oil pick-up, Headman Headers, and a bunch of other goodies, we got about 6K invested into that motor and the guy said it should put out about 425-450hp and theres no way, no way a 10 bolt can hold that, plus we got some suspension work for it to. The motor should be done within the next 2-3 weeks i'm hoping, so were gonna put the suspension stuff on it and POR rustproof the bottom of the car and put the motor in and break it in for now, cause next summer were gonna take the trans out and have it re-built and beefed up some more to handle it and while that's getting done we gotta send out the rims to clifornia and get re-done and widened, and then hopefully get the ford 9inch for the rear. then the year after that will be the body work, paint job and juice, so it should be done totally in like 3 years, i can't wait. Should be running mid 12's on motor and i'm hopinh high 11's on the spray.

Jim

Jamie231

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora
Ok it has a spool (what kind?), 33 spline moser axles, c- clip eliminaters, TA girdle, and shot peened 4.11 gears. He said they took the rear end out and had all the seams on it welded, and a brace installed in the oiling passage for the pinion gears. Been using for it 3 years he said. You might be able to pick up a used 12 bolt for the same amount he spent on his 10 bolt. Hopes this helps ya.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list