3800 syP asked about my FWI

ThePizzaGXP

5.3 liters of stockness
Dec 17, 2008
Carpentersville, IL
This is what I wrote to him.. I'm too lazy to re-type anything. Hit me up on AIM if you've got any questions, same name as this.

"Sure - no problem.

You'll need about 19-22" of 3" PVC/ABS - I'm not sure exactly how much. (If you get ABS, make sure it's the same outside dia. as PVC - very important)
A Plastic 3" vent-stack flashing. It's in the plumbing section.
A K&N cone from SLP. http://slponline.com/view_product.asp?PARTNUMBER=21041 Thurr's the link. :D
Some black screws - about 4
Also, a 3" Rubber Plumbing connector. You need the one that's wrapped in stainless, as you'll only use the rubber from the inside of it.

As far as making it.. if you can meet up sometime, I'd be happy to help. It's sort of alot to explain, and involves an air-chisel. :eek:

Otherwise - try to follow me here.. :lol:

Obviously, pull all the old shiat out, and take the rubber flex section off FOR NOW. Pull the whole headlight out (for more room) Cut all but two of the bumps off of the flex-section, allowing for the clamp to fit in between. Keep in mind, this is seen, so be gentle. Get a piece of cardoard, and make a template of the triangle shaped area against the fender. Use that to cut the roof flange to size, it'll only fit on there in a certain spot, and still allow there to be enough left around the "cup" to screw into the fenderwall. You'll know what I mean when you do it. Make sure the angle of the cup is from the headlight back towards the strut-tower, and not vice-versa, or the straight setup will never work right.

Alrighty.. now you'll need to chisel/cut with snips a bit of the metal forward of the hole that's already in the fender. Make it about 2" more foward.

http://www.aseclub.net/includes/showimg.ph...03-DSC01085.JPG

Here's a good pic showin what I did. Just cut two notches, and fold the metal back, to give a non-sharp edge. Hit the cut with some spray paint to keep it from rusting. It's hidden, so use pink if you want. :unsure:

Now.. to assemble it. Put the K&N on the PVC - it's a perfect fit. Put the pipe through the flashing, pushing the filter all the way up into the back of the cup. Shove that in the fenderwell. Make sure the metal doesn't hit the filter. Put your flex back on (well.. what's left of it anyway) If you're wondering, the less ridges, the smoother the air. Anyhoo- Put the flex back on, and mark the PVC where it slides in about an inch or two into the flex, and cut it there.

Take that shiat back apart, paint the PVC whatever color you want to. After it's dry, use that rubber thing I mentioned eons ago to shim the end of the PVC where it fits into the flex section. (the stainless case for it makes a nice bracelet, if you're into that kinda clamped-bracelet stuff) :blink: Rubber against rubber gets a bit hard to put together, but eh well, it'll work. Put it all back together, shove it in, and throw some black screws into the fenderwell to hold that flange in place. Should look something like this (Minus the dirty-ass car)

http://www.aseclub.net/includes/showimg.ph...03-DSC01084.JPG
http://www.aseclub.net/includes/showimg.ph...03-DSC01087.JPG

Hope this helps. :) "

FYI- I dunno why the FWI looks brown - no idea. It's black in person. And if you're unsure of how it looks, ask BumpinGTP, he saw it in person. B)

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Very nice......I did mine a little different..I gutted the stock air box and used a stk replacement K&N. I ran dryer duct to a hole in the side of the box with a PCV sleave and down the fender well. I cut a hole in the bottom shroud and screwed in a dryer vent for a ram air scoop...and connected the dryer 3" duct....

ThePizzaGXP

5.3 liters of stockness
Dec 17, 2008
Carpentersville, IL
As far as the bend, yes. I had one. Did I notice a difference? I don't know. :D I put the fwi with bend a week after I bought the car. (Went from a high 16's car to this thing) I did the straight setup a month or two later. The butt-o-meter didn't do much for me, cause I was still getting used to driving a 14/15 second car. Pretty much all I noticed is the intake noise is more, ALOT more.

Think of it this way, you know what your cars sound like when idling cold? *hiiiiiisssssssssssssss* Yeah - mine sounds like that all the time now. A bad sound? no - the SC whine is so f'n loud now, even under light acceleration. That's something I'm sure most of you wouldn't mind. B)

CheeseIsGood

Dec 26, 2008
something tells me i got ripped off when i payed 45$ for my K&N from autozone less than a year ago......

didn't even have the convinient metal "sleeve" to fit over the pipe, i had to rig up my own attachment.

as for this FWI, i wanna try it.....are there any dangers to using PVC instead of ABS???? i heard it could melt, but what's the real likelyhood of that?

thanks for the post PA....

~Nick

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• T
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list