4t60e shuddering with TCC engagement

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Patient: a 1992 Olds 88 with a 3800 and 4t60e transmission, 160,000 miles

Symptoms: shudders under light throttle when the torque converter clutch applies. If the throttle is pedaled, the TCC will engage without shuddering a second time.

I was going to throw a new TCC solenoid at it, but when I go to Rock Auto, I saw these two parts listed:

1. TCC solenoid, AC Delco 24202614 $10.53
  2. TC Pulse Width Modulation Solenoid 8683535 $41.79
I assume the shudder is due to this being PWM. Which way should I go? TCC solenoid or PWM solenoid?

I'm assuming both are on the valve body somewhere and easy to change.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
awe crap man. id say to do both, the older 125C was a striaght solenoid. then due to the harshness of the "5th shift" aka tcc lockup....they added PWM solenoid to feed the tcc solenoid. all the later tranny's 65e+ use one solenoid for both functions.

the shudder could be the tq converter/clutch material as i believe those were paper frictions and not the more durable kevlar and then carbon fiber tcc clutches.

if you dont care about the car id suggest just clipping the wires and wiring em to an old fuel injector and pigtail and leave it taped to the harness.

at most youd lose 3% of fuel econ and a tiny bit of self respect

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info