3800 3-1 skip shift???

zeez gtp

Addict
Nov 21, 2008
Bolingbrook
Man, help me out. ok, theoretically, if i have the shifter in 3rd and punch it with perf on, i should always get the 3-1 skip shift. right? i have only gotten them a couple of times. most of the time, my car just pulls hard in the gear i'm in. i always get the 4-2 skipt shift. i mean, i will be doing about 45 so it's not like i am just starting to accelerate and punching it and wanting the skip shift to come into affect. i don't know, am i missing something here

zack

I

imported_GraFFix

I believe the DHP is set so that if you are going 40mph+ even in 3rd gear you will not get the skipshift.

Like Bumpin said roll at 35-39 and hit it and youll get it everytime...as long as the tranny can take the abuse..it is hard on the trans and the imput shaft.

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
bumpin and graffix are correct.

The purpose of the 3 - 1 shift is to get you in the power band more quickly. However you do not want to just skip down twice regardless of your speed to give you an idea of what i mean here's a quick breakdown of MPH vs RPM for 1st gear....

MPH RPM
60 7,000
50 6,000
45 5,200
40 4,600
35 4,000
30 3,600

So what this means is that if you're cruising in 3rd gear and you bury the accelerator at 50 MPH AND you had an unlimited 3 - 1 skip shift, you'd drop into 1st gear at 6,000 RPM. This is obviously useless as you are #1 out of your power band, #2 that is the 1-2 upshift point anyway so you'd immediately shift back into 2nd.

However, if you hit it at say 40 mph, you hit 1st gear at 4,600 rpm, a decent spot, and that allows you to pull hard than if you hit 2nd gear at 40 mph which would be .... 2400 rpm. This is one of the reasons our cars have a 40 mph lag......

Charles

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info