3800 Need advice about dealing with a GP part vendor

jmdz06

Dec 19, 2008
ok, i really don't want to name names, at least not yet, so forgive me if this post isn't very clear, but i don't want to start calling names or appear to be flaming anyone...

I was in the market for purchasing a part for my GP. I had basically three options- a very low-cost option from a vendor that does NO GP-specific work for our community, a mid-priced option from a reputable GP vendor that does help our community, and a high-priced option from one of those "name brands". I didn't want to go with the high-priced option because the price just seemed absurd to me (almost 5 times the cost of the cheapest and 50% more than the mid-priced one). after doing some reading here, and on the national forum, i decided that the cheapest version would suit my needs, but at the same time i also wanted to help support the GP community. So i decided to purchase the mid-priced option from the GP supporting vendor, thinking that it had to be AT LEAST as good as the cheap one...

so i get the part in the mail and it turns out that it is in fact NOT from the vendor's brain at all. it was simply the cheap one marketed as their own-for more thatn 50% more :blink: . The vendor claims that "it is widely known", but nowhere on the website does it even give the SLIGHTEST inkling that what i'm actually buying is NOT their product. In fact, it CLEARLY states that it is the VENDOR's product.

i asked either for a refund (including shipping, because i would NOT have purchased them from this vendor had i known exactly what it was that was being sold) or a refund for the difference between what i paid the vendor and what the actual cost of the piece is. The vendor did not agree to either of these. i have since asked for at least a store credit towards future purchases but have yet to get a response...

what should i do?

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Thats a tough one.

BUyer be ware is what they always say!.

ONly recourse is to return the product. Minus shipping etc etc. You can always return a product. And never buy from this vendor again.

If it is one of our sposors. I would e-mail them directly and try and work out something. As all of our vendors are very good in the customer service department.

Or you can always sell it on the classifieds..someone is always looking for something.

Also remember that this local board is a wealth of information. We have all dealt with all of the vendors out there. Ask our opinions and experiences with these vendors and maybe you can avoid "problems" like this.

PM me if you need any additional insight.

jmdz06

Dec 19, 2008
no, it doesn't say " this product is ours", but it does give a description of the product then at the end it gives the clear impression that it is done in-house. I've had a difficult time finding any other product that is just repackaged as something else that doesn't say ...this is "X" from another company... even other products on this vendor's website let you know if the product belongs to someone else...i just don't get it.

and as far as paypal goes, will they get me a FULL refund, or one minus shipping?

sorry, but i won't give out the product ...it'll be just to easy to figure it all out :p

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
How come this just screams "cam" to me?

Mainly because I ordered a cam for my car that i though a "certain" company specifically made in-house, yet it turned out to be a Comp Cams product that I could have ordered wit hthis part # for cheaper?

I didn't return it cause I do want to support this vendor, and performance place I could have side ordered it from (friend works there) for about $100 less. No "5x" more price, but significant none-the-less.

Thats my guess...or an LS1 TB, but i doubt the TB.

jmdz06

Dec 19, 2008
lol, you're both wrong so stop guessing!

and if it was a cam, EVERYONE should be pissed, because the ONLY cam we can buy, intense S1) is actually priced right---IIRC, compcams will do ANY grind for only 250 so all you need are the specs.

but anyway, i'm hoping that this can be resolved amicably REAL soon. if not :angry:

jmdz06

Dec 19, 2008
well, it's over...for now. I don't know if i'm right or wrong, though i'm PRETTY SURE i'm right :p. The vendor was not willing to concede to any of my requests, of which there were many possible solutions to the problem.

Because i feel very strongly that i was wronged in this situation, my final recourse has been to contact the Better Business Bureau and to file a complaint.

I doubt i'll be doing any more business with this vendor in the future ( and not just because the vendor did not meet my demands, but mostly because of some of the snide and rude comments made in the corresponding emails). The BBB said i should hear back from them in less than 30 days, so after i get a FINAL response, i'll repost this with all the info i'll have at that point. Then you can make your own decision as to who was right/wrong. I will do my best to only post facts to keep it fair :angry: but i won't like it

Again, i will admit that i may have just shot myself in the foot and i MAY be wrong (or being a big baby), but from where i stand, as a customer/consumer, i'm right.

hopefully after this is all done, at the bare minimum, no one else will have this issue in the future.

jmdz06

Dec 19, 2008
Originally posted by alexgtp@Apr 5 2004, 03:11 PM
Well bud you can also name the culprit. That way we can as a club maybe choose not to support them.
i know, but i want to see if the BBB is on my side or not first. i'd rather not make an ass of myself here in the gp community if i can help it. I can't tell one way or the other if this club is for or against this vendor...there seem to be some REALLY strong opinions against it, but i've also seen some glowing praise for this vendor as well. either way, i'm going to piss somebody off.

if i am wrong (or at least if the BBB says i'm wrong) then i'll update the post and drop it. If they say i'm right (fingers crossed) then i'll do my best to present the info in an objective yet flaming post over on the national forum.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
I think I know who it is.... :D. But anyways, any good company would have given you a refund if it was unused. I've never dealt with a company that hasnt been willing to give a refund when a customer was disapointed. Its horrible business. Who would ever buy something from a company, knowing that if they didnt like it or it didnt work, then they were out of luck. I know I wouldnt. So after this problem is resolved, then let us know who it is. That way some people, like me, will know what companies we may want to avoid when buying parts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info