Front end noise

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
The front end on my 04 GTPCG is noisy when driving. The best way I can describe the road noise is a humming, like a 4x4 with big off road tires going down the highway. There may be 2 noises actually, possibly related...similar road noise but it pulsates for a second at a time. Noise doesn't seem to be affected by turning one way or the other, however the noise does change when I hit a bump in the road.

I have changed both front hub/bearings (pass side in Sept last year, dr side last week) and put new tires on last week as well, with no chance in noise. Brakes are good. Does this sound like possibly cv joints/axleshafts or possibly a bushing/motor mount I should be looking at?

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
You have 2 different issues.

The humming noise you are describing is either a bad wheel bearing or uneven wear on the tire. Run you hands around the tire, if it's smooth then they're fine. If you feel any ridges or bumps, you'll get a humming noise from them.

The noise over bumps is usually ball joints, tire rods, or sway bar end links.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It's like every single thing that makes the noise you're explaining from the front end has been replaced recently :rofl: I almost felt like we were being trolled lol. It would be so much better if we could hear the actual sound, but nothing is like riding in the car. Unless you want to pick up a bunch of people you don't know and take them for a ride? :naughtyd:

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
lol I may be able to do that.

The noise started quiet then progressively got worse. I was confident that the left bearing was bad, so we replaced that. Took it for a test drive and to my surprise the noise was still there. My friend was fairly confident then that my tires were the culprit. He said his made the same noise when they were down to the wear bars because by then they got pretty hard. I knew my front tires were almost down to the wear bars and it was about time to replace them, so I had new ones put on. I pulled out and again, no change to the noise. I just wanted to get opinions before I ponied up the money for new axles.

I guess it's possible that the hub I replaced last year is shot already. I just with there was a way to check.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
I also forgot to mention...not sure if noise is related or not, but when I come to a stop, I hear a light clunk when the trans downshifts into 1st. Not even a clunk, more like a single click. The harder Im braking, the louder it seems when it downshifts

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info