3800 Intercooler and stock trannies..good or bad?

Ok...like everyone else on the board (well most anyway) i'm getting geared to get myself a brand new intercooler. my car currently has 64k miles on the clock and still runs like a champ, not a drip. i remember reading a week or so back (on clubgp) about people w/ intercoolers having their trannies fail on them. if i go ahead and get intercooled, i dont want to have to worry about my tranny taking a dump on me a week down the road. i realize that at this stage of the game (mod wise) my trans is bound to shit out eventually, but will an ic push it over the edge at all or should i be fairly safe as long as i'm not beating on it like i'm in the daytona 500?

Depends on how you drive and how many times you go to the track.

Usually after adding a sweet mod like a intercooler or cam you want to go out and beat the piss out of the car.

I thought that just adding a intercooler would not stress the motor that much, but it is when you drop a few pulley sizes because of the intercooler that will start taking a toll on the drivetrain???

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
It's not the intercooler that blows the tranny; it's the owner of the car that gets really confident and tosses a 2.6 on there and races everyone that looks at him cock-eyed. :)

All of your other mods being equal, if the intercooler is the only change you will be making, you will experience no more wear on the transmission.

as far as it concerns me, the intercooler will the the last engine mod i do for the rest of the year. and lowest pulley i'd even go would be a 2.9 just for fun, hehe. but seriously, i run a 3.2 w/ 0kr right now, so i'd just drop to a 3.0 probably...this summer will mainly be suspension anyway. intercooler was gonna be final mod of the year

I

imported_snoop

well buddy, i have had my IC with a 3.0 on my car for about mas a menos 7000 miles maybe more and i have no problems. oh shit, maybe i shouldnt have said that. :eek: but for real though, just dont act crazy all the time and you should be good for awhile.

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
The intercooler will get you some horsepower in itself, but the real power comes from downsizing the pulley. If you don't get crazy, and keep the foot light witht hat 3.0 you should be fine for a while. Just avoid a ton of 3-1 downshifts and you will be fine. I say go for it, and let the chips fall as they may.

BC

I

imported_Ron Vogel

There are many reasons for accelerated trans wear, the IC just aggrivates it. One of the main reasons is that the computer uses the maf for some of the transmission control. The smaller the pulley you run on these cars, the more the maf readings get wacky, even with a mini-afc/ICCU/custom programming. Since our blowers have the bypass, moderate throttle driving allows air to back up past the maf; which causes turbulence. As pulley sizes get smaller this happens more and more. Most of the wear (not breakage) happens at these instances. The only preventive measure you can take is to go with an outboard maf such as the 85mm unit, and mount it farther upstream of the SC.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info