3800 P0420 code....

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
P0420 usually occurs when either the rear o2 goes back, or someting happens in the cat, or most likely when you replace the stock setup with an aftermarket one such as the RT DP.

They "swear" the RT pipe does not cause this problem, but trust me i've seen way too many of them set p0420's.

Does this mean that something is REALLY wrong with your emission system. MAYBE / MAYBE NOT. Basically the PCM is looking for a specific difference between the reading in the front o2 and the rear o2. Anything outside of a certain variance will set this light. Just by modifying the flow characterists could cause the second o2 sensor to report a value that triggers the po420 even though there may be no real difference in exhaust emissions.

If you know the system is working properly, then you should spoof the 2nd o2, put tape over the SES light ;), or pull the code from the pcm......

charles

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Well, I read somewhere else you will need to take it to the dealer. They do some type of smoke thing. Pump smoke in somewhere and see if it leaks out. Probably into your gas tank. Also, there have been many times that I have tightened the gas cap and later found it loose. It could still be a leaky gas cap. Check for any wear on it. Maybe a bad o-ring if it has one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info