3800 Looking for J.E.T., question.....

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
My problem was a little different. My high beams dont work at all. I figured it was the bulbs or something, then one went out. I replaced both bulbs, and the hights still dont work. :( No biggue. Ive driven in almost pure blackness and I can see fine with the regular lights and fogs, so Im not too worried.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Well, the problem is that the high beam relay is sticking and the coil won't de-energize. Why, I do not know...

The only difference between your setup and mine (Fish & blkjak) is that my fogs were also in an isolated circuit. I have the BlazerTech wiring harness for the fogs.

Hmmm, I wonder if a diode across the coil would help the circuit. I'm sure I've got some 1N4004's in my box. This would be easy enough to try.

BlkJak - you got PM.

J.E.T.
'97 Red GTP

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
I talked to Brian (backinblk on ClubGP) and he directed me to his input on the matter:

-------------------------
Could the high wattage foglights cause this?
Yes. This won't be your only problem as soon as your plastic fog lamp housings melt...

Unless the SUV harness looks like mine:
http://users.adelphia.net/~bpaskevich/HL_Harness.html
The lighting may not work correctly.

I have heard about the SUV and Ebay harness's not working properly for many people. I would really like to see a GOOD wiring diagram of their layout, since this isn't rocket science... Unless these aftermarket kits are absolute crap. This has been an issue around here for a long while, and has yet to be resolved.

I've had my upgrade in my car for almost 2 years now, and I've NEVER had any problems with it.

Be sure that it is a TRUE 9007 kit, as the 9005 wiring is different!

Without seeing it in person, it is most likely that your "high wattage" fog lamp bulbs are bleeding enough current through the headlamps to keep the high beam relay coil pulled in. Change out your fog lamp bulbs with stock 27w units or try upgrading your fog lamp wiring like so:

http://users.adelphia.net/~bpaskevich/Fog_...ng_upgrade.html

Be SURE to wire the upgrade fog lamp relay coil as I have shown.
------------------------------------------------

I can attest that I did not have a problem concerning fogs (except for changing bulbs all the damm time) with suvlights harness. The answer might be because I also had the fogs wired separately. With the fogs having an isolated relay, there was no bleed over current to feedback to the driving lights.

J.E.T.
'97 Red GTP

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info