3800 I need Opinions...

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
This week i am going to race one of my buddies 2002 Lexus IS 300 with the tap shift thingy. It is bone stock and has 19" chrome rims on it... (stating that for the weight). How do you think i can fare against it? I will be taking out my subs, and i got a CAI. We both have pretty much bald tires and he is RWD.

Let me know how you think i will do, and any suggestions because it will be close.

-Ryan

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
yea fish.. i saw that, that is why i think it will be close...

FLAME SUIT ON

i think i may have a potential factory freak... i beat alot of these cars that run mid 15's according to car stats..... ill list some real quick... celica GTS, dodge dakota SPORT, lost by a hair to an Acura RSX-S..

FLAME SUIT OFF

So yea.... lets hope for the best....

lemme see

trac off...
windows up
heat on
stereo unit off
seat a little forward
brake torque to maybe 2k and slowly go into it so i get no tire spin.

Anything else u can think of? And yes i am keeping in my spare tire.

Thanks alot
-Ryan

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
well.. if you're not running a full 1/4 mile it will definetly be close if the lexus is a mid 15 car... even if it were a full marked 1/4 mile it'd still be close...

It's going to come down to traction... whomever gets the jump and grabs will probably be the winner...

I'm not sure how leaving the heat on would rob power... but I doubt you'd gain enough from it to make a difference (only purpose of leaving the heat on is to circulate the coolant through the heater core which then acts as another smaller radiator... just to get the car a little cooler) .. your best bet is to get the jump/steal the hit and make sure you spin as little as possible... the race will most likely be won in the first 60'...

And best to get some track times before callin your car a factory freak :) ;)

hatchcrap

Nov 10, 2008
Originally posted by rob@Mar 8 2004, 05:17 PM
Run the tank down and fill up with Gas City 100 octane...Just a 1/4 tank..The weight savings will help with the weight transfer as well as the different PCM spark tables the gas will induce...You will feel a difference! ;)
i dont think thats going to help that much on a stock car...

listen to horist he knows what he is talkin about :)

auto rwd on imports kinda suck unless they are making sick power like muscle.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by hatchcrap@Mar 8 2004, 05:40 PM
i dont think thats going to help that much on a stock car...

listen to horist he knows what he is talkin about :)

auto rwd on imports kinda suck unless they are making sick power like muscle.
:blush: heh

Yea 100 octane in an otherwise stock car (especially an N/A stock/low compression car) won't help any.. and could hurt performance (100 octane is harder to ignite... octane is the measurement of a fuels resistance to detonation). Unless you're already getting knock , the higher the octane, the harder to ignite, the more power you'll loose. (Also The PCM won't run any higher timing advance than it would on pump gas... unless as stated you're getting big time Knock Retard on pump gas... but if that were the case you've got more serious issues to look at heh (no reason a stock compression 3.8 should be getting preignition/detonation on pump gas))

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
LMFA0 @ Hale heh

Compression Ratio is how much the air in the cylinder is compressed.. so 9.5:1 that means that the air sucked into the cylinder is compressed to fit into a space 9.5 times smaller than the non compressed space

9.5:1 is relatively low and safe to use 89 octane and prolly even 87 octane

As you add more compression you're compressing the air more and more , the more you compress the air the more volatile the mixture becomes... so more compression means you need to run more octane to make hte mixture less easy to ignite...

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by rob@Mar 8 2004, 10:57 PM
Sorry I thought it was a GTP........I have to disagree about losing performance even in a non-charged application.....The 100 will alow you to run more timming....You really dont NEED it baised on your compression but it wont hurt.
true... it will allow you to run more timing... however unless you have the abilities to raise your timing in the PCM right after you fill up... it will hurt you

in syp's situation he would run slower on 100 than on pump gas... and it would hurt... the pcm will only go to the max programmed timing... if he doesn't get knock (pre-ignition/detonation) on 93 octane, then 100 octane will slow him down....

that low of compression and 100 octane... i wouldn't be surprised if he'd loose a tenth in the 1/4 mile... the PCM has a maximum amount of timing it will run given a certain IAT and dependent on which table it's in (high octane or low octane) ... so if it's in the high octane tables already, it's not going to go any higher.. and if it's in the low octane tables (caused by knock sensor failure or prolonged knock) then there are issues... and 100 octane would be a quick fix to no fix...

so.. i beg to differ.. i say 100 octane in an otherwise stock GT (CAI won't add that much more air) WILL hurt performance ... won't hurt the motor... but will hurt performance...

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Well in not pretentious enough to tell someone that they dont know what they are talking about....I would rather get the right information so we can all benefit from it which is truely my goal hear....I do have it some were...When I find it I will post it.....on another thread. OK

What I know for sure is the physical propertys of the higher combustionability or higher octane fuels BY THEORY induces KR; the left over gasses from the incomplete burn are more combustionable there by increasing the probability of detonation on compression...The left over gasses the in the combustion chamber prematurelly igniting AFTER the the plug fired or when the piston is on its way up....Its the RATE of burn higher octane fuels help KR and does due to higher flammability...Its a hard phenomenon to explain..
-I NEVER will agree that higher octane fuel will cause excessive KR in an engine unless there is another problem..
-I do completely agree that once the highest table is set or peak timming is set it raising octane levels wont help much more...But I still have a problem with a decrease in performance. Be that as it may.. He would benifit with some PCM table overwrite but may be subject too 93 to get the level of performance desired do to the timming increases. Are they performing those mods on a natural asp..
-If hatchcrap is running 93 with 11.1 pressures he must have aluminum heads...I dont know what he has...But I(me) wouldnt go much higher at that octane level. If you are going that high use water/meth injection- if you dont want to spend the $$ on the octane....and I understand he may not be charged.
I usually run 93 in my 350 00 Tahoe. Once in a while, when I take it on the express way, I'll run some 100 through it. The dam thing gets it in second....Not to mention a noticeably performance increase...And when we run it in our dirt bikes....look out. Try it for yourselves...

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
I thought higher octane gas..IS HARDER TO DETONATE. Thus it being essential in high boost applications.

If he runs 100 octane in his car wont it be harder to detonate the gas? And any unspent fuel in his car will make him run rich thus adding the possibility of his car bogging and or inducing KR? I read a post on clubgp where ROn came up with the reasoning ok KR being caused by running too rich.

ALso since SYP does not have the ability to increase ignition timing would it be beneficial for him to increase octane? I know that the PCM only allows x amount of timng even if the he meets all ideal parameters.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Well... i think i got a good chance...

I hope you all remmeber the BMW 325ES i posted about.. How i spanked that car. Well today i rode in the Lexus and he races my BMW friend, and the BMW beat it by half a car lenght. SO i have good expectations for this race :). I think i may wait till friday to see if my brother wants to come with.

-ryan

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info