3800 Anyone else find humor in this story

antpearl

Regular
Nov 21, 2008
Palatine
Let me preface this by saying...i'm not implying, nor placing blame anywhere but myself, but the story has to start somewhere...
I go to the mod day at Casper's on saturday. Take my injectors out to have them cleaned, which they didn't need. We reinstall them and I go about my merry way. Sunday morning on the way to take the family for a little putt putt, i smell gas something serious in my car. I check under the hood and sure enough, inj. 6 is leaking like a sieve. I run to autozone to by a new o-ring and hurry home to fix it. I get the injectors out nice and easy like saturday reinstall the o-ring and everything is going really good. So far time involved is 30 mins and dollars spent are 2.99, not including the mod day, since, its not related. As i have the car running to make sure the injector is no longer leaking, one of the 10mm nuts that retains the fuel rail falls down the injector shaft and into the motor. i quickly turn the car off and called john, and then hale, and then jared's old cell, pictor and alex. FOR THE RECORD - THE LONG MAGNET DIDN"T WORK... and oh how I wish it did. Hale suggests taking the upper intake off and seeing if it is reachable through there. After another 30 mins, it is not. Now, not only am I pissed b/c a $2.99/30 min job has taken 2 hrs, I still have not found the nut, had a beer, or watched NASCAR on tv. I mean, it is Sunday. Not to mention my hands are covered in god knows what, which makes it more difficult to smoke.

Now, as I sit here writing this, the heads are being removed from my car in an effort to retrieve a 2.00 nut from a 2.99 job which is probably going to cost me well over $500 by now. This is just f**king great, cause I don't even have my cam to install yet. What at bitch!!!!!!!!! Now, there'll be no cam til winter because I've blown all of my car money and I'm totally screwed. I need a beer.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Oh man - that sucks.

What I don't understand:
As i have the car running to make sure the injector is no longer leaking, one of the 10mm nuts that retains the fuel rail falls down the injector shaft and into the motor. i quickly turn the car off and called john

So, the motor was running - and the nut fell inside the injector opening?

A telescopic magnet tool has saved me a great deal of headaches many, many times. Too bad you couldnt fish it out with one.

Look at it this way, maybe that noise will go away?

J.E.T.
'97 Red GTP

12secGTP

Addict
Nov 10, 2008
Des Plaines
yea bud.. you need to clarify a bit... if the nut fell down the injector hole while the injector was out... WOW, what a wierd ass stroke of bad luck... sounds like something that would happen to me.
if the net did fall down INTO the injector hole, then you should not have started the car.

If the nut just fell down ONTO the block somewhere... WHO CARES?? go buy another nut. I have prolly 3 sockets, and 6 nuts/bolts flopping around on the motor someplace...

If it did not actually fall INTO the cylinder so the piston is whacking on it, dont worry about it....

antpearl

Regular
Nov 21, 2008
Palatine
BC- yes, i've been having very good luck lately, car was running great, moving forward on purchasing a home, and 6 job offers in 1 week. So, i guess I'm even. Maybe next time I'll be more grateful i suppose. still waiting to hear back from the shop about what all is wrong.
FISH - I mentioned that to the wife and the look i received was enough to tell me that that was not a 'good' idea.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
So the nut is in the intake port or combustion chamber.? Their are flex shaft magnetic and a FLEX shaft grabber tools that are cheap and worth a try..If it is in the combustion chamber....Bring the piston up manually and take out the plug and see if you can fish it out of the chamber...Maybe pictor will let you use his scope to find it...If its in the intake port. Try to fish it back out the hole or remove th upper intake..How or why was the engine running with th injector out???Good luck man..If you need one of those FLEX shaft tools PM me. This is where a bore scope comes in handy. You should be able to get it-its a pain in the ass but possible.

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
Well from what I gather, he dropped the nut into cylinder 2 and wasn't sure what to do. He tried to turn the car over and heard metel banging metel. Some how it got past the intake valve and got down to the piston.Does the gt injectors fire into the intake manifold or what? Not sure never really looked into it.

antpearl

Regular
Nov 21, 2008
Palatine
Well as an update to you all, the car is ready tonight. I won't be able to pick up until morning. If anyone has a penny and a dime present, you should put the dime on top the penny. THus illustrating the diameter of the hole (penny) and nut (dime). As if that situation wasn't quirky enough, compression tests were good, heads good, pistons good, one ring looked a little dinked, but not anymore so than normal wear and tear at 100k miles. With that said, i guess the bad luck of such a small fragment of space, stupidity and other wise, a 10mm nut passed through several cylinders and didn't tear up a damn thing. What are the chances?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info