3800 My New airbox

• Thread starter imported_Ron Vogel
  • Start date
I

imported_Ron Vogel

Here it is, shape will be altered off this "blueprint" to fit the space. I'm using .062 thick aliminum built around an aluminum frame. The side of the box facing the motor will be faced with thermal insulation. The MAF is integrated into the side of the box. There is a one way valve, so air continuosly flows through the box to keep it cool, when the throttle is opened the valve closes so filtered air only gets through.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by gtphale@Mar 2 2004, 11:04 AM
Whats the egr tap for?
The side of the egr that normally goes to the intake gets attached there. I'm putting an air horn on the incoming side of the maf that should draw enough vacuum to keep from setting codes with the EGR so the intake manifold can get blocked off.

AutoDummy

Nov 26, 2008
What size filter are going to use? What will your material of choice be for thermal protection?

Are you planning on doing any of the work this weekend? I'd like to see it in person just for the hell of it. I'm going to be free ALL weekend and I need something to do, lol. Well, besides cleaning the car. I'd like you to take a look at my TB too if you have time. No biggie either way.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

The cone filter provides a little more surface area, and I sold my panel filter a year ago. I'm using the 11" cone, space will be tight. For the insulation I was going to use a mineralized wool fiber, but it's freakin' expensive. I found a nice black perforated foam with vinyl jacket that'll withstand the heat, it's supposed to do well for wet environments. I'm sure there's something better out there, but this will look nice and with all the other heat shielding I've done, the thermal performance doesn't have to be that great. I did the one way vent thing on my truck when I had it, it worked fantastic to keep heat down. To fit the cone, and provide adaqute airspace in the box, the filter will have to be a little cockeyed. I'm making a cardboard form first so I don't waste my material. Dustin, this weekend would be fine, I ended up being too busy last weekend to do anything, Saturday is my son's 3rd birthday party so evening or Sunday would be good.

AutoDummy

Nov 26, 2008
What are you doing with the PCM? Will it be in the airbox? I'm kinda surprised that you're sticking with the EGR; why not just buy/make a simulator? Your design is definitely something I've never seen or thought of.....

What size is the outlet of the filter, 3.5-4" ?

I'd feel bad about bothering you on your son's birthday, so let’s shoot for Sunday. When is a good time?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info