3800 anyone have any tips on tuning with an IC?

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
i was able to somewhat scan jons car today. by that i mean i was able to read the o2's and timing. used a generic snap on scanner.

o2's are really eratic at idle, ranging anywhere from 100-700 and peaks to 950 every now and then. when under load the o2s are in the 900's

at WOT the o2s seem to be a nice steady 940.

timing- at idle puts it between 25-35

at WOT timing drops to 10-12, id assume theres some knock causing this.

the pulley on there is a 2.8" the car feels slow, it was a LOT faster before the IC.
with a 3.1" pulley it feels the same as the 2.8", still not as good as before.

the car no longer barks second gear, and doesnt light up the tires from a 30mph roll.

the only code being thrown is the EGR code.

what do you all think?

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
kr i wasnt able to scan with the scanner i had.

o2s at WOT are in the 940s, which i think is damn near perfect.
timing at WOT is 10-12.

the way timing is pulled so hard it has to be knock, which there shouldnt be with the mods on the car.
headers, 1.9rockers, DHP, IC, CAI,- should be enough for a 2.8?

the pump being run with the IC i beleive is a 15GPM, everyone else runing the IC's is runing 3-5gpm pumps. could the faster flow be getting the water in and out too fast to cool it?

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by xttc2000@Mar 1 2004, 03:23 PM

at WOT timing drops to 10-12, id assume theres some knock causing this.

the pulley on there is a 2.8" the car feels slow, it was a LOT faster before the IC.
with a 3.1" pulley it feels the same as the 2.8", still not as good as before.
Sounds like you're getting a couple degrees of knock w/the 2.8. I'd either put the 3" on and check the butt dyno or get something to scan KR for you.

VHGTP

Regular
Nov 10, 2008
Originally posted by CoolGTX@Mar 1 2004, 05:45 PM
me and alex took the car for a spin yesterday=3 Q/M passes, and I had 3.0 on=10PSI, and O2=940-910, IPW=19...OH 0KR
cam, headers, APP104s, I/C, free flow exhaust.

You guys need to get an autotap bad.. ;) before something bad can happen.
are u still running a stock tranny, or have u upgraded to something heavy duty... cause u must be pushing mid three hundreds in the torque department!

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by VHGTP+Mar 1 2004, 07:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (VHGTP @ Mar 1 2004, 07:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CoolGTX@Mar 1 2004, 05:45 PM
me and alex took the car for a spin yesterday=3 Q/M passes, and I had 3.0 on=10PSI, and O2=940-910, IPW=19...OH 0KR
cam, headers, APP104s, I/C, free flow exhaust.

You guys need to get an autotap bad.. ;) before something bad can happen.
are u still running a stock tranny, or have u upgraded to something heavy duty... cause u must be pushing mid three hundreds in the torque department! [/b][/quote]
I have a c-ya tranny since Nov., because the chains took out my Input shaft.

I ran low, low 13s..13.0-1-2, on the stock tranny for 2 years...No I/C till Jan.

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
I wonder if with the new power you are slipping the tranny. I had this happen when I got my cam. Car felt really good first time down the track I toasted some of the gears. Couldn't figure out why the car was running so bad. I messed with pulleys and going to a 3.4 actually made my 1/4 mile passes faster cause there was less slip.You need an autotap and see how long it is taking for your car to shift gears.Your O2's are actually rich. You can go down to a .89 with the IC but .91 is ideal.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by JonPGTP1@Mar 1 2004, 08:46 PM
I think the tranny is fine
hard to help ya when you are sooo sure of yourself.

was the car running like crap before, and how long has it been acting like this?

how many mods have you done since its been running like crapola?

what do you think is wrong?

If you think it is the I/C, take it off, and see if all goes back to normal.
I tell this to anyone who cant figure out whats wrong and has done mods recently.

its helped some, and some wont listen, so its up to you.

HTHs

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
A simple question........What was the LAST mod you preformed...... IC? Or did you drop a pulley size at the same time. Ron V has done alot of reaserch on how EGR's have to be tuned to aftermarket exhaust systems......Did you delete the EGR?.....If you did,im sure you removed it from the program....Yada yada yaada.....Their are many things to consider....My theroy is the intake restriction your experiencing due to the new IC.....You always loose 1-3# of boost by putting a radiator(core) in your intake path.....No matter what brand...

If you are TRUELY not seeeing any KR and you are stumped.....ADD TIMMING...... OR BOOST....Make sure you monitor your tap......KR.....If you drop to a 2.6 you may need to increase your octane...Especially as ambient temps increase.(spring-summer)(dont get complacent like I did)..

This doesnt mean you need to run 100% 100 octane all the time....NO...AND NEVER RUN A O.T. BOOSTER!!!!!!!!!! You mix it to ambient temps and your combo(KR). My blue GTP is running 1/2 of 93 and 1/4 of 100(metho/alcohol induced)GAS CITY...With a 3.25" and no cam or IC yet.....And manages to piss my neighbors off.....0 KR-this varies on beliefs an applications...OF course...

Im on the SS of Chicago...I have one with EH perameters and palm and your welcome......You MAY just need to compinsate for your IC restriction. Be careful and balance your combo...There are many ways to do this.....

You cannot ignore the fact that there MAY be a CLUTCH PACK problem......or if not now will be one later.....Just be aware that it may be a consideration. No-matter that your car isnt bounceing of you limiter now...Happy tune :D

LP 3800

Addict
Nov 24, 2008
How many lbs did you torque the bolts to? Did you pick up that missing bolt? If I were to guess it would be a vaccuum leak. The car may not leak until you hit it with all that air. 2.8" does not sound like a big deal, but that is a serious amount of air, and it will find any imperfection you may have in your seals. Also what happened since the day you told me it was so much faster? You must of changed something after that day?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info