4t65 hd transmission problem

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
When the forward gear engages it applies gradually or quickly depending on throttle. It feels like im applying brakes lightly and try to move the car. Thas how much throttle i need.

When backing off the throttle the wheels come to stop almost instantly.

Reverse is 100% normal

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
sounds like the lip seal thing

Wouldn't the seal problem cause the same in reverse ?
Reverse goes in quick and instantly spin the wheels when they are off the ground. Drive will go in but the only sign is the motor dropping RPM as if it has a load but the wheels aren't moving. 1/4 throttle will spin the wheels forward but with lots of resistance. Letting off throttle will have the wheels stop almost instantly from the resistance.

The trans needed a ton of fluid before it showed 100% full hot idling. It took as much as my 4t80e. With the factory fluid level it would engage in either reverse or drive and after trying always showed dry. after adding a few pints over stock (gradually) it eventually showed full, and reverse and drive started working (but drive has ton of resistance)

Never seen this before.

Torque converter was filled prior to install.

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
Pinpointed another symptom...

When in park there is an intermittent high pitched squeal similat to a belt slipping. i thought it was the belt.

But whrn i put in reverse the squeal stops. Then when in drive squeal is the loudest. Then back i park squal continues but not as loud
Put in reverse squeal stops

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
now that sounds like you lunched a sprag and its sliding and not holding.

the converter sprag and the forward sprags arent as beefy as in bigger tranny's and its really god damn hard on the forward sprag when you "pedal" it in and out of power as your repeatedly unlocking and locking the sprags, often with enough slip that once its glazed....the dogbones will no longer grab. basically,try to keep from pedaling from accel to coast at all costs

we destroyed 2 turbine sprags before i was clued into this when PI told me they use dogbone sprags and not ramp/roller type like the oem.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
10420349_10153289120914469_1869009780685945830_n.jpg

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
I also have a TCM controller that seems to be causing problems.
I may not have been in 1st after all. It doesn't respond to upshifts.
Putting back the factory trans control, and putting it in Low gear on the shifter.
Helped a lot but in Drive it's the same. Now much less throttle is needed (in low gear). Basically just touching the throttle will move the wheels and the whine is much much less.
It may not even be in 1st still.

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
Final testing of this turd of a transmission...

1-2 shift solenoid is defective. Manual grounding makes zero noise.
Clicking the 2-3 shift is clearly heard when manually grounding.

So that means gear 2 and 3 are the only usable gears in this trans right now...
Until I change that solenoid.

I wonder if that doesn't help the whining if it's stuck in 2nd gear ?

Also another strange thing, is in Reverse it works fine but it seems neutral also spin the wheels in reverse. Then it goes in drive on the next setting on the shifter. Is it possible the reverse clutch pack never completely disengage ?

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
Where is the friction ? I think I narrowed it down to the reverse clutch pack that dont completely disconnect.

In neutral it still spins in reverse.
In park as well but it does lock into park after 1/4 turn.
Tim king always added an extra set of clutches, this caused excessive friction and sometimes coneing of the clutch pack, mine was toast after 1900 miles burnt up and bent

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
Well we just finished the setup. Went to back out of the garage. The transmission spins the wheels off the floor (no load) with the car weight it won't move. Same in Drive, it will spin the wheels off the ground but won't move on the ground.
So I have to find a stock transmission to put my input shaft and Quaife diff in.

This freshly built trans is no good...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info