15 inch Rim that fit around stock gtp brakes

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
I wanted the 15" for maximum sidewall height for better traction.
More choices in that size too for full slicks.

16" IS for ET street tires and that doesn't hook well on tracks with little to no prep. On good tracks I had decent results with those.

What's the offset look like on a 16" mustang rim ? (does it put the tire further out or does it make it closer to the strut ?

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
i believe it goes further out,

these might be 17's stolen from [MENTION=917]1quick[/MENTION]

image%2890%29.jpg

[MENTION=22]syP[/MENTION] has some 16" with slicks in teh f/s section, but shipping to Canada would suck.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I wanted the 15" for maximum sidewall height for better traction.
More choices in that size too for full slicks.

16" IS for ET street tires and that doesn't hook well on tracks with little to no prep. On good tracks I had decent results with those.

What's the offset look like on a 16" mustang rim ? (does it put the tire further out or does it make it closer to the strut ?

They pull further out, very aggressive offset for FWD, which is what you want.

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
i believe it goes further out,

these might be 17's stolen from [MENTION=917]1quick[/MENTION]

image%2890%29.jpg

[MENTION=22]syP[/MENTION] has some 16" with slicks in teh f/s section, but shipping to Canada would suck.

Too much offset puts a huge load on the bearings. Should be alright for drag racing though and would help clearance...
But SyP are ET street radials, not full slicks. Huge difference. I have the same tires. They work good when the track is prepped.
Not good when it isn't and that was on the rear engine setup. On the front they work well enough for my FWD daily driver but only at the track with prep.
On the street full slicks vs radials...not even close...

Also 114.3 isn't exactly 115mm, puts a little stress on the studs.

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
plenty of guys run them with no issues to the studs. and if this is for the race truck, the weight savings alone will over comp. for the added (if any) stress on teh studs.

i was just giving syp's rims as an example for sizing.

I was doing a lot of research on that. There are mixed reviews. Most people never have a problem but there are some who lost a wheel. It may not be common but on a machine that will be pushing extreme limits of the factory capability, I don't want to chance it.

Keep in mind I want to do half mile racing and some road racing with it.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I was doing a lot of research on that. There are mixed reviews. Most people never have a problem but there are some who lost a wheel. It may not be common but on a machine that will be pushing extreme limits of the factory capability, I don't want to chance it.

Keep in mind I want to do half mile racing and some road racing with it.

:fy::fy::fy::fy:

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
as far as I know Mustangs have 5X 114.3 which is different than 115mm.
Small difference but enough to have potential consequences. Harder to center on the wheel. With Hub rings it helps but still some stress on the studs.

I wish I could use mustang rims safely. With a quality metal hub ring I suppose it could work.

There are some very nice and cheap light aftermarket 15X8 and 15X10 rims available but only in 114.3 mm

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Any part number for me ?
And those do clear the stock brakes ? You don't have to go to Grand AM brakes ?

the stock brakes are the same brakes as used on the montana/GM minivans which were offered with a cast alum 15" wheel. all 03 and older W brakes will clear the 15".
the reason peopme go to the GA brakes is the weight savings for a drag only car.

as far as I know Mustangs have 5X 114.3 which is different than 115mm.
Small difference but enough to have potential consequences. Harder to center on the wheel. With Hub rings it helps but still some stress on the studs.

I wish I could use mustang rims safely. With a quality metal hub ring I
suppose it could work.

There are some very nice and cheap light aftermarket 15X8 and 15X10 rims available but only in 114.3 mm
its nothing to worry about with good condition studs that havent been abused.
0.0275 " bolt circle dia difference. which means each lug is out of position by 0.0135 inches.

now keep in mind our rims are hub centric and youll see that its minimal.

the TR uses weld draglite Xp's in the mustang pattern. the lug nuts are nearly 2" shank style and we've never had any problems installing or tightening the lugs... its one of the primary reasons im not concerned and am quite happy building the suspension around the cheap common foxbody fitment stuff

then there's this guy...it uses mustang pattern rims.

just use arp studs if your worried.
IMG_5099.JPG

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
None of those cars turn though. Granted there's a big load on those studs, but it's still not "proper" and losing a wheel and going straight when you're supposed to be turning could be REALLY bad.

Yes true.

However most of the stress on the studs would increase chance of shearing more than anything. Which a high powered, high traction drag car would stress the most.

I do have ARP studs all around...

What hub rings should I get for Weld drag lite rims ?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
any major side loading would be carried by the hub. the studs just provide clamping

i just dont see the problem. most 15" drag wheels are shank style lugs and either center on the shanks or the hub, either way you should be concentric.

i know the greg's whippled GP has the billet welds with the actual 5x115mm pattern and he only spent 1600$ on just the rims.

or you can spend 800$ on rims and let the .7mm ride....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info