3800 Balancer and Flexplate

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Hey guys, I was reading around and found someone who said that the Bonneville had a stronger crank pulley than us. I know intense has an awesome one, but are there any other options for upgrading to a better crank pulley?

Also, since I will be having the engine balanced, is there any reason I shouldnt go with an l36 flexplate? They are able to bolt up to an aftermarket TC without drilling, like the l67 flexplate. Is the l36 flexplate as strong? Should I just have it drilled while I have it off the engine?

Thanx guys.

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
Rob are you talking about a flex plate????? Mike just uses a stock balancer,the flexplate is also a stocker he just replaces it with a new one. The only thing that he replaces with something differant is the torque convertor and he has ran a few differant ones in that department. Mine is out of a sunfire gives me a nice 2200-2400 stall.

Check out the balancers from Ed he is giving a really good price. If I remember right it was 75 bucks plus shipping is what he is asking. He gets on here once in awhile so i'm sure he'll chime in if he gets a chance.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Yea the flywheel...I dont know what it is...He sold it to me with the TC. Its the same size as the stocker and has another hole in it for the different TC's or the stock one......

Hale, I also have one of those stall speeds....I want more info on the one I have-I think he said it slips a little more than the stock one...2200-2400 which is just what I want...but im not sure and he doesnt reture his calls anymore......

Is this what you have?? Precision 4847FJHB 4T60E,440T4,2060

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Probably is the Sunfire one........Take a look and let me know when you get a chance........PN: 4847FJHB Its blue.....

I talked to Scott and they have adjustable rockers...He said they are working on a true roller cam package. Solid roller lifters are the hot lash....

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Yea I got an email back from ed and he told me that the l32 balancer is the same as the Bonne's. They upgraded them on the grand prixs. And he did give me a good price, but Im still not ready to start purchasing parts yet. Got more looking around to do.

So it sounds like there really isnt anything better in then flexplate section than the l36 or l67 flexpate? Do you guys think that drilling the l67 for the TC will cause any structural problems? If both the l36 and the l67 flexplates are strong, then Ill probably just get the l36. Thanx.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
I woudnt sweat the balancer.....Yank the balance shaft, tap and plug the rear oil hole with a 3/8X3/8 16 set screw with thread sealent and have your rotating assembly 50%.......If your using aftermarket pistons its good to have it all balanced anyway.....And if your getting it balanced you might as well go for a 50% balance and delete the BS.....Its suppost to be worth 18-23HP aswell...I know a guy on the NS of Chi-town that can balance an micro-polish your crank for under $300.....I just got mine back......Takes about a week and ahalf....Let me know..

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Yep, I was already planning on removing the BS and getting it 50% balance. I am going to be talking to a guy in des moines, that my friend knows. He owns a machine shop, and I may be able to get a pretty good deal on it.

I was just curious about the crank pulley, wondering Intense ever broke one. Or if they had their's made just incase. Thanx.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info