Twin engine GTP nascar first startup and more...

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
Man this is going to be a beast...
I took it for a short drive. the road are dirty (sand) so I couldn't really do anything real crazy. But so far I love the way the chassis feels. It is very stiff and feels very nimble. Weight distribution as a twin engine is nearly 50/50
With both engines there as shown in this vid we are at 2800lbs with driver.
There is some stuff missing up front and body kit weights a little too. But overall it's super light. Fully dressed up will be 2500lbs as single rear engine. Or 3200-3300lbs as twin engine. That is over 1100 lbs lighter than the GTP !

It feels like a monster. I was just on all season tires and no traction. but I can tell the small things done to this otherwise stock L67 engine made a big difference. Electric water pump, no balancer shaft ST4 camshaft, stock refreshed head etc... It hits the 7000rpm limiter like nothing in 2nd gear (on the vid)

The Converter feels a little tight on the 4t80e but I expected that. We'll deal with it, it's better than a stock converter that's for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmfc7Q-DiCI

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
It seems to perform above my expectations. The frame is super stiff.
You can jack one corner and no noticeable distorsion. Rear engine motor mount config is superb. No movement yet not solid mounted. All poly bushings (ZZP).

The GTP was harsher when going into reverse at full line pressure.

Seems like the motor wants to rev much easier than before when it was 100% stock.

This build makes me so jealous. I have a Festiva that I already fitted a 3800 into the back of after being inspired by your GTP build. Gotta get back to work on that bad boy and get the front engine in and wired. I was expecting similar weight...maybe 3200lbs. Too many projects going on all at once though, I'll probably be a year getting that done. Make some more videos to keep me motivated!

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
Reminds me of the dune buggy 3800 jobs.
Just run it with no body panels :p Looks all Mad Max like then....

I might go down the track with one engine and no body panel. I'm just a little worried about the lack of weight up front. Apparently my wheels came off the ground abou 2 inches on one run, but I can't see it on video. I think I will make a set of wheelie bars for it just for the occasion. I have to get some downforce in front.

At 2400lbs and 600HP+ it should beat the Twin Engine GTP time if the track is well prepped.

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
I might go down the track with one engine and no body panel. I'm just a little worried about the lack of weight up front. Apparently my wheels came off the ground abou 2 inches on one run, but I can't see it on video. I think I will make a set of wheelie bars for it just for the occasion. I have to get some downforce in front.

At 2400lbs and 600HP+ it should beat the Twin Engine GTP time if the track is well prepped.

Fiero style basically.. buddy of mine with a MP112 setup Fiero can lifted the
front tires a few inches on tiny stock sized street tires.

Just get a solid block of iron the strap to the front :)

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
Fiero style basically.. buddy of mine with a MP112 setup Fiero can lifted the
front tires a few inches on tiny stock sized street tires.

Just get a solid block of iron the strap to the front :)

I have about 200lbs in Lead ballast (stock car stuff). I was thinking of mounting them in the bumper area to help in case. I could progressively remove them during the day if the car is stable at speed. Just worried wind will catch under the car and flip it on the top end. I should trap mid 140s + at that weight with a single engine. That's if the car isn't too much of a brick areodynamically.

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
you could start adding anti dive/squat to the lower control arms.

move the front LCA's front heim down and the rear bushing up, opposite on the rear

Hard to tell how the suspension is reacting there is not enough traction. I will try to find a decent spot to hook. So far it's not squatting at all. But if I test rear engine, I do need some squat or I will waste the slicks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info