3800 clubgp deletes this link on me

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
allow me to play devil's advocate for a minute.... (hehe)

The last traffic report I saw for clubgp registered in at just over 30,000,000 visist
per month.

Thats a huge number and its not there for free.

PAYING advertisers are allowed to advertise their products. Their advertising money helps pay to run the site. How is it fair to those who pay for advertisement to see other companies who do not pay anything? You can get a banner ad on clubgp for about ~60 a month. If you're running a real company, ~60 a month is a SMALL price to pay for advertising to such a large captive audience of car enthusiasts.... Call a magazine and see what you get for an ad. HPP is $1300 for 1/2 page and that is for a magazine of 80,000 readers.....

Now.... if someone INNOCENTLY posts up a company in answer to a tech question, etc, I think its fair to allow that. BLATANT advertising on the other hand shouldn't be allowed.

My $.02

Give me a break guys.

Vendors pay to advertise on clubgp. If Mike just lets anyone advertise by posting links or whatever then why would the paying vendors keep paying. If you want to tell someone about a vendor that doesnt advertise there then PM them.

It takes money to run a site like this right?? Thats why there is a "donate" button on this site right?

If I need info I go to clubgp first because of the huge database of info on the site.

If you've never heard of drex before then you must have never been to ZZP's website.

beat me to it charles

ThaLord

TCG Elite Member
Dec 2, 2008
Cicero
Originally posted by beyerch@Feb 22 2004, 08:39 PM
allow me to play devil's advocate for a minute.... (hehe)

The last traffic report I saw for clubgp registered in at just over 30,000,000 visist
per month.

Thats a huge number and its not there for free.

PAYING advertisers are allowed to advertise their products. Their advertising money helps pay to run the site. How is it fair to those who pay for advertisement to see other companies who do not pay anything? You can get a banner ad on clubgp for about ~60 a month. If you're running a real company, ~60 a month is a SMALL price to pay for advertising to such a large captive audience of car enthusiasts.... Call a magazine and see what you get for an ad. HPP is $1300 for 1/2 page and that is for a magazine of 80,000 readers.....

Now.... if someone INNOCENTLY posts up a company in answer to a tech question, etc, I think its fair to allow that. BLATANT advertising on the other hand shouldn't be allowed.

My $.02
I agree with your last line.. and that is what I was talking about.... I was considering doing small banner ads.. and would charge... I am talking about the little things like.. someone asks a question like where can I get X,Y,X, and someone posts a link, and it gets deleted.. kinda crazy...

trust me.. I know the costs of running servers.. been doing it for a while...

Just don't like the flaming on that site.. can't say a thing without people over-reacting..

Originally posted by Ripn12s@Feb 22 2004, 08:41 PM
It takes money to run a site like this right?? Thats why there is a "donate" button on this site right?
Well....on that note, seeing as to how there are thousands of members on ClubGP, wouldn't it make more sense to collect $1 annually from each rather then having to go through the fiasco of sponsorship and the flames that ensue because of it? I think they'd be MORE then set even with just a $1 from each member, and that is a very small price to pay in exchange for the info being shared/attained. Plus, you'd be eliminating the competitive headaches that come with the sponsors. Sounds like a win-win situation all the way around, unless I'm missing something. :huh:

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by RareGMFan+Feb 22 2004, 10:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RareGMFan @ Feb 22 2004, 10:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ripn12s@Feb 22 2004, 08:41 PM
Well....on that note, seeing as to how there are thousands of members on ClubGP, wouldn't it make more sense to collect $1 annually from each rather then having to go through the fiasco of sponsorship and the flames that ensue because of it? I think they'd be MORE then set even with just a $1 from each member, and that is a very small price to pay in exchange for the info being shared/attained. Plus, you'd be eliminating the competitive headaches that come with the sponsors. Sounds like a win-win situation all the way around, unless I'm missing something. :huh: [/b][/quote]
Well... i'm not sure how clubgp is run... but having sponsors can be a very good thing under the rigth circumstances....

If the owners are well respected members of the racing community, and only approve sponsors that they have faith in (a sponsor shouldn't just be someone that pays money for an add... that's an advertiser... a sponsor is someone that you have faith in and believe can provide value to your members) then being sponsored is better...

If a site allows ANY link to be posted to any shop... some could be scams, some could be a buddies shop, etc... and you could get ripped off...

The sites I visit for tech knowledge for my LS1 are all sponsored... and there's no flaming (limited rather... ), and I have faith in many of the sponsors... the owners are well known in the racing community and trusted...

So it really all comes down to board management...

I'd prefer to visit a site that Moderates what links are posted than a site that lets anyone post a link... especially if I was a newbie and didn't know which places are rip offs and which places are legit and care about their work...

Plus if a board charged 1 dollar to view it... I really don't think it'd have many members... I know I'd never pay just to view a board...

I think deleting a single post with another company's website is fucking rediculous.

If a post is started with the intent of promoting a company that doesnt pay to advertise than that is different.

But deleting one post from a single user that was helping out another with a website addy.... that is as close to a dictator as I can see. Crap like that sucks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info