3800 I think my water pump

antpearl

Regular
Nov 21, 2008
Palatine
Does anyone know how to check if the water pump is going bad? There is a compressor/ dry suck sound coming from the passenger side, lower front of the motor. The noise is not constant and is present in Park, Neutral, and Drive. I have not noticed any overheating problems and it does go away if the vehicle is turned off, but it does come back. Any ideas on what it might be and how hard a water pump install is? Are there any trick ones out there that might help me in the weight area?
Thanks Guys!!!!!

Isn't the water pump on the top rear of the motor (on passenger side near firewall below alternator)??? and isn't the AC on the bottom front of the passenger side of the motor? If your water pump is going out. the temps will rise drastically when you are stopped, and start falling almost immediatly when you take off. this is due to the pump not being able to pump sufficient amounts of water thru the radiator and lack of high amounts of air flowing thru the radiator causing coolant temps to spike. Obviously once you start moving the air starts cooling the little water that is flowingthru the radiator better which is what causes the virtually imediate temp drop

does that make sense

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
And *usually* when a water pump is going out, it's the seals that bust, so you should see a rather large puddle of coolant/water under your car. :huh:

If it's anything like the 60* V6s, the water pump is really easy to change. However, I don't really have any experience with the L67, so I can't say how much the s/c complicates the situation.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
The pump is in the front timming cover. Shouldnt present too much of a challenge provided thats the problem. The bearing may be growling and the weep hole may start pissing soon.

You need to isolate the noise. Use a mechanics thesoscope' or long screwdriver or equivelent and put it on the pump with it running. Put your ear too it and you should find out quickly....Use caution. If you want Sears has them-there cheap.

With the engine and belt off. Grab the WP pulley and wiggle it around. If there is play in it-change it cause the bearing is shot and it will be pissing soon.

I know there is an electric pump out there but the L67 pump is small and light so I wouldnt sweat it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info