Disabling 4th gear

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
if your building a street strip car i would keep 4th so its not super anoying when your driving around on the street, I had 4th in my old turbo car and it was fine i never went fast enough to shift into 4th full power, i just going to guess but im thinking you would have to be going around 160 to shift into 4th with a 2.93 gear set, and thats not a speed i would ever want to see in a wbody lol

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
4th is stupid weak clutch wise. High power build and shifting to this under heavy load rips em up. Just not enough there to work with under any real power.

My first "built" trans as it was billed from guy I bought from, had 700 miles on it before I got it, from a turbo car.
4th was already showing good bit of wear on it.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i know people have but whats the purpose of "deleting" 4th in the 1st place and is it worth the effort to do so on anything other than a strip only setup?

the original reason was for the passage use by the wires for a tooth sensing ISS sensor setup to get rid of the troublesome OEM tone wheel/sensor that breaks off at high power.

the remaining passages were utilized for the feed for the trans brake that the GMR "3 spd" drag transaxles had.

if using the oem pcm trans controls youd be able to tune it out, dunno on your external box...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
the TR's trans managment is 4th is a cruise gear, only shifting into it at low throttle %.

depending on yer FDR th isnt really needed untill over 50mph.

its just a mater of training yerself to shift to 4th when your cruising for long enough stretches.

the track only file is set to prevent part throttle upshifts/wot downshifts, 4th delete, etc

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
the original reason was for the passage use by the wires for a tooth sensing ISS sensor setup to get rid of the troublesome OEM tone wheel/sensor that breaks off at high power.

the remaining passages were utilized for the feed for the trans brake that the GMR "3 spd" drag transaxles had.

if using the oem pcm trans controls youd be able to tune it out, dunno on your external box...

That is what I have also. Worked out pretty well. Need a deal to boost the
signal up for PCM to detect it, but once that was done, no more pesky wheel.

ModifiedISSwiring3_zpsd88ad877.jpg

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
I was thinking of using a GPS switch to make the shifts.
With 1300-1500HP it will be pretty hard to use tire speed or RPM to shift.
An Early shift slows me down and it was happening in the end at higher power level. GPS speed would be the more accurate way to shift. I can also use it for many other purposes...

But I don't want my manual controller to go to 4th. So does staying in "3rd" range prevent any shift into overdrive ?

Is it possible to get the trans in "safe mode" (full line pressure, no 1st, no 4th) and still use solenoids to shift ?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I was thinking of using a GPS switch to make the shifts.
With 1300-1500HP it will be pretty hard to use tire speed or RPM to shift.
An Early shift slows me down and it was happening in the end at higher power level. GPS speed would be the more accurate way to shift. I can also use it for many other purposes...

But I don't want my manual controller to go to 4th. So does staying in "3rd" range prevent any shift into overdrive ?

Is it possible to get the trans in "safe mode" (full line pressure, no 1st, no 4th) and still use solenoids to shift ?

How quick of a refresh rate does a GPS have though?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info