3800 Car wont start, yay

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Well, here goes all hell. I still have a new car warranty on my 2000 GP GT, and this is how it played out:
  • Start my car right after school, radio turns on blasting.
  • Go to put my car in reverse, notice that my tach is at 0 RPM.
  • Start car up again, runs for 3 seconds, dies.
  • hmmmmm, fuel pump resistor? So i push car into autos garage
  • Start car, dies after 3. repeat 2x, trying diff things. FPR shows full pressure, use a diff key, no go.
  • Hook up Snap-On scan tool, error code P1641, look it up, PASS 3 key system error

WTF? im stealing my own car?

So after a few calls (shadowknight no answer, pictor tells me to tow it in to the dealer since its still under warranty, charles says that it could be 10000000 things, and i have to tow it in)

my words? "shit" current mods in sig.

Call a tow company, call dealer to see how this plays out, and were towing the car Saturday at 9am.

How i think its gonna play out:
  • tow to dealer
  • dealer fixes PASS3 key, flashes PCM
  • dealer notices P0300 code, and figures by my stickers, CAI, or ZZP HV insert or something that its cammed..Pictor thinks they will find out
  • may pull off valve covers to see aftermarket valvesprings
  • void warranty, make me pay in full for fix
If not, they will go to replace the engine mount that is broken on the left side, pull off the upper intake and notice the HV insert in the upper plenum and void it somehow. In the mean time, if they go to fix the ABS light/no trac control light (because i broke a curcuit board that ontrols that under there), im sure they will get the hint i did SOMETHING to it. ESP with the rough idle and random misfire code.

I'd rather just like to see them fix my PK3 system, broken engine mount and circuit board with no questions asked...I'm tooooootally gonna play dumb tomorrow, wish me luck. (BTW, im taking off the 6" ILGPC stickers from my car..theyre all torn up, missing letters and ripped off for some odd reason, so at least they wont have the URL to this board).

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
well... they can't make you pay in full for the fix unless they can prove something you did (an aftermarket part) caused the problem...

Doubtful a mechanic is going to waste his time pulling the valve covers... so no worries there

also depends on the mechanic as to wether or not they'll question you about the car's engine work... not sure how it sounds... but you could play it off as needing it a tune up and you're going to do that yourself just haven't had time (bad spark plug can cause misfires... so there's your PO330).

Play dumb, don't volunteer any info... if they do ask about he idle.. play it off... "yea my dad's going to check the plugs and wires this weekend" or something like that ...

at most they can tell you your drivetrain warranty is void... which shouldn't be a big deal as I'm sure you were already expecting that having done internal engine work...

The rest of they warranty they can't simply void... they can only deny warranty work if they can prove that your aftermarket part caused the failure ... (though the ABS thing you may have a hard time... if it's a visible break (like cracked board) or something then I doubt they'll warranty it)

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Here's some interesting bits too.

Apparently, the PK3 cuts off the injectors. When I unplugged the vacuum line from the intake to the FPR, and sprayed carb cleaner into it while it was running for the few short seconds, we could keep the car running until we stopped spraying in carb cleaner. It sparks still, just cuts off the fuel injectors (not even pressure).

Also, ...nevermind, i forgot, ill post later if I remember. And I'll tell you all how it goes. If im lucky, they will just fix the PK3 and not mark anything down for anything else.

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
Originally posted by ThaLord@Feb 22 2004, 08:48 PM
seems like this has happened a lot to people, lately.. is there a preventative thing you can do.. to keep something like this happening? maybe hot wiring it before it goes bad?
ABSOLUTELY!

YOu can go to any service department and ask for the Fuel pump resistor relocation kit. If you do a search for the appropriate service bulletin, they will have the part # to the kit. IT allows you to relocate the resistor to the firewall inside the engine bay. This will prevent it from being exposed to the elements.

In most cars, its in the FENDERWELL behind the battery.

The reason why a lot of died "lately" is that salt and other crap gets up in there and the salt corrodes it. Ironically its the middle of winter and we've had a lot of snow and salt on the roads...... :huh:

This is what Alex had me do and it worked perfect to bypass the resistor.

Look under your engine bay. Look at where the fuses are.
Look for the one marked FUEL PUMP Speed circuit. NOt the FUel PUMP one.
Pull out the resistor. and do the following to it.

DIAGRAM OF PIN LAYOUT!
x( a ) x( d )
x( b )
x( c ) x( e )

Look at the pins this is what they will look like.
Using 18guage wire or smaller wire Bypass the resistor by wiring ( a ) to ( e ).
Than put fuse back into place making sure the wires stay intact.

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Originally posted by Mals27@Feb 23 2004, 12:17 AM
Look under your engine bay. Look at where the fuses are.
Look for the one marked FUEL PUMP Speed circuit. NOt the FUel PUMP one.
Pull out the resistor. and do the following to it.

DIAGRAM OF PIN LAYOUT!
x( a ) x( d )
x( b )
x( c ) x( e )

Look at the pins this is what they will look like.
Using 18guage wire or smaller wire Bypass the resistor by wiring ( a ) to ( e ).
Than put fuse back into place making sure the wires stay intact.
Is there any way you can post a pic of that, or use MS paint? That confused me a bit, mainly cause I haven't seen the resistor. Also, is that a perminant solution?

I'll call the dealer up today and have them put in the relocation kit, and my engine mount...and my circuit board thing under my steering wheel...

Once you pull the fuse it is real easy to see. It is one of the big square fuses that has five posts on the bottom.

| | A D
\
| \ B None
\
| | C E

Just wire post a to post e like the first diagram. I will try and take a picture and post when I get a chance.

Alex has his bypass on for over a year with no problems, so it can be a long term solution. Mine's been on for about a month and I know my resistor is out and I haven't had a problem. My resistor went out again even after the rellocation. So it is always a good idea for all of us to keep a wire ready to apply to the fuse if you don't want to keep it on there long term. It will kep you from getting stranded somewhere and ahve to get a tow.

is this fuel pump resistor relocation kit applicable to 04s as well? or is it no longer an issue?

'04's are variable speed fuel pumps. There isn't even a return line for the fuel rail nor is there an FPR :)

is this fuel pump resistor relocation kit applicable to 04s as well? or is it no longer an issue?

Not many people know about this product yet as we are still doing a little testing. Results have been great so far! If people are interested, I can post the info on it here. Let me know!

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Question........Bypassing the low pump speed resister a good idea for a long term fix????? Can prolonged high speed pump operation lead to other problems or a premature pump failure.....? Im not trying to insult anyone here but the GM engineers must of designed it that way for a reason dispite their resister failures.....Can anyone elaberate on this further???? Maybe keeping the pressure up at all times is a performance advantage..??? Or can that effect injector operation?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by DaytonaPaceCar@Feb 23 2004, 11:28 AM

'04's are variable speed fuel pumps. There isn't even a return line for the fuel rail nor is there an FPR :)

Not many people know about this product yet as we are still doing a little testing. Results have been great so far! If people are interested, I can post the info on it here. Let me know!
I've got it, works great. My 02's used to drop off at higher RPM's and kr would spike. After the hotwire kit they are as solid as a rock to redline.

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Originally posted by Jamie231@Feb 24 2004, 12:43 AM
iliveonnitro, hey does your security light flash when this happens?  I am pretty sure the L36 motor didn't use the fuel pump resistor.  I could be wrong though.
Yes, I did notice it flashing.

Dealer called me today, and tried voiding my electrical system warranty because i had an A/F ratio guage! I told them down, though.

They almost found out about the cam, but there was no SES light before i went in, and when the fixed my PK3 (thats what it was), they flashed the PCM (no more DHP) and the cars idle went down 200rpm, and started to idle really bad when they started it, and occasionally stall. They said my engine was setting a random misfire SES light, and i asked them wtf they did to my car, it wasnt like that before. :) :)

Anyways, they tried voiding my powertrain warranty (so no replacing engine mount) because i had a ZZP HV intake insert, and i said thats a load of shit and it would never hold up in court...and that they need to replace it.

Called me back later yesterday and said that the engine mount and PK3 are now covered under warranty.

High lift cam anyone?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info