Cracked flexplate

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Car was making a horrible rattle noise at idle. I pulled the inspection plate and can see cracks on the flexplate (the two spokes between three windows).

Is an OEM type replacement the way to go, or will it just crack again? Are there other upgrade options besides the Meziere flexplate?

Does the trans needs to be completely removed? Just wondering how big a can of worms this will be. Do I change the converter, do I upgrade the trans, do I rebuild the 100,000 mile trans....

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Well you have to take out the trans or motor (motor is easier) to change it. Then from there you ask yourself...

- How long are you going to keep it? If you want to keep it a while and you want to remain at that power level, get a better flexplate.

- If you're taking the above option, while you're there you might as well upgrade the trans, that's the next weak link.

- If you're taking the above 2 options, you'll soon realize that you've most likely just spent double the value of the car (in parts alone) and the BEST option is to just replace the flexplate with another stock one and hope it doesn't break.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
drop cradle use engine support brace fender to fender type. slide trans over to the drivers side wheel well. this way you can keep ALL the exhaust electrical and rad hoses connected.

i did it twice this way once when i had a cracked flex and another time to replace 7/8s chain in the trans. (1st i thought chain was dragging on the trans case from being stretched.)

those fender to fender engine support braces look like a T and have a leg going to the rad support. cheap and worth every penny!!

just my 2 cents. i just put a stock flex back in red locktight them and i had mine over far enough to put in a new tq convertor too for 200 bucks for a convertor crazy not to imo!

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
My first time pulling a motor took me about 5hrs, and most of it was because it had a turbo kit on it. A supercharged car should be a breeze. I was rather surprised how easy it actually is. Never done the trans like that before, but I have also been told that was rather easy as well.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
I'm not opposed to pulling the motor, but I already have another car half disassembled that needs my attention. I wonder if a trans shop could do this relatively cheap, especially if they could just shove the trans over.

After reading some, seems there are different OEM flexplates. Is the L67 3-window the best choice?

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
So my less than a year old stock replacement flexplate is making noise again. It rattles at idle, goes away under load. At idle, the noise does come and go.

I pulled the inspection cover, but can't see any cracks this time. The flexplate isn't obviously loose or anything. I undid the torque converter, the bolts were tight. I can see the flexplate to crank bolts and they look OK.

I started the engine and the rattle sound was gone at first, but came back much worse. I took a video. The TC is not touching the flexplate. The noise does come and go. It sounds deeper with the TC bolted up.

I'm pretty sure the new flexplate is cracked again, but would like others opinions. Could it be anything else?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgyImOn_GwI

https://youtu.be/sgyImOn_GwI

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
So this pretty much has to be a bad flexplate, right? I can't think of anything else that would make this noise, especially with the TC unbolted. I'm 90% sure, just want to be 100% before taking it in again.

Is the Meziere flexplate the only option besides the stock style? Looks like ZZP has the best deal on them for $400.
Meziere Billet Flex Plate - Transmission & Drivetrain

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info