3800 Got in alittle arguement today...

I was a this bar tonight and this guy who was a friend of a friend said hehad WRX STi that he put a CAI, down pipe, cat back exhaust and some PCM tweeks (non boost related) and he said he got 440 HP to the wheels from that.

....Ummm that is where the arguement began...

A STi has 300 hp stock to the engine... and at the Wheels it maybe has 250/260 to be generous.... and with the modifications made that ths guy said, and I asked him specificly twice if they upped the boost and he clearly said no they did not touch the boost, they made 440 hp to the wheels. Am I missing something or am I completely retarded?

I told him to bring his 440 hp to the wheels STi to come race me whenever and I know a stock STi will have a upper hand on my car stock, but I want to see this guy pull ten car lengths on me based upon the HP he says he has.

He was stupid as shit... I said I might be able to believe that was 440 to the motor... unlikely but maybe, but NOT TO THE WHEELS.

He has yet to produce a car so we will see.

What do you all think?

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
NOT EVEN CLOSE! there is no way to pick up 250 CRANK hp with those mods, let alone WHEEL hp. He is feeding you a line of bs. teh AWD on Subbies is generally considered to eat 25% of power. So he should be seeing 225 whp, give or take 10hp at stock levels. Taking the 25% rule to effect, he is claiming an increase of 250 HP AT THE CRANK. that is just a huge sack of bullshit. to see those increases in power he would need: FMIC, Larger turbo, upped boost, full exhaust, and tuning.. at the very least. (25% of 440= 110... add that to the 440 he is claiming, and you see he is claiming approx 550 crank hp.) Call him out. Offer to pay for a dyno (i can send you to an AWD dyno in naperville), and bet him the cost of the pulls and $500 that he doesn't put down even CLOSE to what he is claiming. You could give him a 75 hp window and still be more than safe.

BC

That's a good idea, calling him out... ill pay for the dyno if he hits what he says he hits... with the mods he stated.

I argued the exact same things you guys both mentioned, the guy is just retarded or something. If he upped the boost, and upgraded the IC, then a possiblity... yes, but not with what he said, and he was stern about what mods he said he had.

I will definetly call this guy out.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
I think I might have you beat man. I have this work "friend" that i talk to about cars a lot and well yea....he feeds me so much bs. Here is what I hear constantly

"oh man, my friend could beat you in a 1/4 mile run if he was going in reverse. It has so much power, we went 67 mph in reverse once. He would waste you."

"one of my friends, you dont even want to mess with, he carries 8 bottles of nos just incase, man. He has never lost, I mean never lost a race"

You chicago guys might like this one.

"I know a bunch of guys in the chicago area that race all the time man, they just line up on the 4 lane highway and race man, Have you ever been to chicago"

Me: "yea, a couple of times"

Back to him "well you know on the interstate there, where there is that big turn, yea man they race around that at like 170 mph."

Now, why you may ask I am still talking to him. He has talked about inviting me down to des moines ( I live 30 min. above des moines right now) to race some cars and see some races. Considering I am having withdrawals from real races, I will even listen to his crap. All I get are cavy's and v6 mustangs here.

I say call him out and take a video camera, get all his bs on camera and then make sure you tape the dyno...then we can post it all over the net....fun

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Get him all worked up and pissed abuot it before you ask him to go dyno, that way he'll be all pissed off and emotional and not think and just say lets go. Instead trying to bs his way out of it. He has to know he is full of shit. Unless he's an absolute moron.

And if by some miracle he achieved what he said by only doing what he said i'm buying one of those and starting ILWRXC. :lol: :lol:

That guys was bold face lieing for sure. PERIOD! I would want to punch that guy for being such a shit head if I was there.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I hate people like that. I got into a heated discussion with a coworker just yesterday. He bought an 03 sentra SE-R and he thinks its the shit. He said there probably wasnt a car in the parking lot tat could beat him. :lol: HE WAS PARKED NEXT TO A VETTE!!!!! :lol: :lol: Always attempts to put me down saying american sports cars suck, bla bla bla. Yet everytime after work I suggest we run, he is busy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: He is a good guy to work with, just doesnt know shit about cars. Ohh, did you know a stock TT Supra can beat the brand new stock 500HP Viper as well?? :rolleyes: :unsure:

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Let me know if he decides to put his money where his mouth is. I REALLY want be there to see it. :D Im with kyle, if he can actually put down those numbers with his mods im selling the gtp tomorrow and buying an STi. Figure he spent MAYBE $800 on those mods. Figuring a 250 hp increase... .31 hp per dollar... Give you a base of how absurd that is: Figure a Stage 1 intense cam gets you 25 for $350 you will see a .071 hp per dollar.... He is full of it. Ill put $500 on that one.

BC

sounds like my friend who has a volvo 850 t5.....220hp stock, he says that with his intake/exhaust/pcm chip thingy he should be around 330hp...110hp from just that? maybe im wrong but that sounds like a line of bs to me...he used to have a ford contour and he changed out the muffler and claimed a 10hp gain...from just a muffler.....

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Originally posted by Fish@Feb 19 2004, 06:11 AM
I hate people like that. I got into a heated discussion with a coworker just yesterday. He bought an 03 sentra SE-R and he thinks its the shit. He said there probably wasnt a car in the parking lot tat could beat him. :lol: HE WAS PARKED NEXT TO A VETTE!!!!! :lol: :lol: Always attempts to put me down saying american sports cars suck, bla bla bla. Yet everytime after work I suggest we run, he is busy.
From the auto show the SE-R was 155 hp. The SE-R Type spec was 165 hp.

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
That is such BS, that's like saying i got 30 hp from my neons on my car. thsi dude don't know wtf he is talking about. theres a dude around here that we hung out with once with an STI and he's got a full exhaust and he don't have no 440hp. They are really quick cars stock though, he's gotcha there, but he's ful of crap if he says he got that much power from just those mods.

jim

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Originally posted by Adam86@Feb 19 2004, 08:20 AM
sounds like my friend who has a volvo 850 t5.....220hp stock, he says that with his intake/exhaust/pcm chip thingy he should be around 330hp...110hp from just that? maybe im wrong but that sounds like a line of bs to me...he used to have a ford contour and he changed out the muffler and claimed a 10hp gain...from just a muffler.....
actually that may be true.. the ECU upgrade adds over 100hp on some models. it is a very nice setup to go with. PM turbo brick for more information about that. But that is no lie.

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
I dont know I think I may have to believe that guy with the 250 hp increase.
I mean when I look at my camaro I think my v6 runs a good 200-210hp stock plus the following mods:

SLP Sticker = 10hp
Chrome Rims = 15hp
Clear Corners = 10hp
K&N Air Filter = 40hp
Flowmaster Exhaust = 60hp
Neon Lights = 25hp
Power Antenna = 5hp
NOS Sticker but no NOS = 15hp

Total hp with mods 380hp.......NOT

Who is this guy kidding! Please I would have just stared at him and laugh histerically!
I'm sorry but that is just too hilarious...Thanks for the laugh.

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
maybe on a really detuned car you can see that kind of gain from ecu upgrades. That would explain why you would see that kind of improvement on a volvo. Wasn't tuned for perfomance in the first place. I doubt it is whp though. At the crank you might be able to see those numbers, maybe. I would think that part of the upgrade is allowing the turbo more boost. I wouldn't be surprised if the boost is controlled by the ecu, but N/A that seems like a manufacturer claim as opposed to a true dyno number.

BC

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Originally posted by sweetness@Feb 21 2004, 02:37 PM
maybe on a really detuned car you can see that kind of gain from ecu upgrades. That would explain why you would see that kind of improvement on a volvo. Wasn't tuned for perfomance in the first place. I doubt it is whp though. At the crank you might be able to see those numbers, maybe. I would think that part of the upgrade is allowing the turbo more boost. I wouldn't be surprised if the boost is controlled by the ecu, but N/A that seems like a manufacturer claim as opposed to a true dyno number.

BC
its a luxury performance sedan. Hence the twin turbos. I got a handful of buddies who have volvos who have done the ECU upgrade to their car. After which they dynoed the car itself. That is why they are so expensive compared to our cars. ACtually last weekend my friends father got an ECU ship which he ordered off a volvo performance website. He put that in (took many hours) and dynoed it. So i think i know how much it adds.

Originally posted by syP+Feb 21 2004, 05:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (syP @ Feb 21 2004, 05:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sweetness@Feb 21 2004, 02:37 PM
maybe on a really detuned car you can see that kind of gain from ecu upgrades.  That would explain why you would see that kind of improvement on a volvo.  Wasn't tuned for perfomance in the first place.  I doubt it is whp though.  At the crank you might be able to see those numbers, maybe.  I would think that part of the upgrade is allowing the turbo more boost.  I wouldn't be surprised if the boost is controlled by the ecu, but N/A that seems like a manufacturer claim as opposed to a true dyno number.

BC
its a luxury performance sedan. Hence the twin turbos. I got a handful of buddies who have volvos who have done the ECU upgrade to their car. After which they dynoed the car itself. That is why they are so expensive compared to our cars. ACtually last weekend my friends father got an ECU ship which he ordered off a volvo performance website. He put that in (took many hours) and dynoed it. So i think i know how much it adds. [/b][/quote]
my friends volvo 850 t5 doesn't have twin turbos..it has one turbo

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info