3800 MODS

02 gtp

OK I had a few questions about adding a K&N Cone Filter...

Will it void my GM warranty?

Will it make my car louder?

Will it make a noticible difference in quickness?

My car is completely stock this would be the first mod. I am also thinking about a 3.4 pully but I know that will void my warranty --not sure if i am going to do it or not, Is it worth the risk of voiding my warranty? Will they even notice? Who knows

Any help suggestions I appreciate it.

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
if you dont want to void warrenty which i think it wont void is just go with a drop in K&N filter, its just a replacement of what you have in your air box now. That works real well, but if your going with an open cone then I would just wait till you get some kind of kit cause all your going to be doing is sucking up hot air instead of cold air with an open cone. Depends on your dealership could be mod friendly or not and some dont even notice the 3.4 pully but everthing is a risk.

Good luck. :)

ThaLord

TCG Elite Member
Dec 2, 2008
Cicero
A regular K&N cone filter will not void your warranty... it may make a little different... it can breathe a little better.. don't expect to notice a huge difference... and in terms of the 3.4 .. most dealerships won't even notice the difference.. that is the most common mod.. I wouldn't worry about it too much...

John

02 gtp

i was thinking of doing something like

K&N

which I believe would be the cold air intake

now back to the pulley I read somewhere that a special tool is needed to swap the pulleys I talked to a friend who works in a shop, says he doesn't have it but that he didn't think it was needed. Hes never changed something like that, will it be fine without that tool?

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
Not true you need the pulley puller to get the pulley off, AlexGTP can do it for you for a small fee... and as for the cone it wont be cold air since there is nothing around it but the engine so you will be sucking up hot air, for now I would get the drop in K&N and save up for either Thrasher, or MSP CAI (Cold Air Intake) or you can do a FWI (Fender Well Intake) but its up to you.

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
That would be an open cone which like stated before would suck up heat. An actual CAI is in a heat proof box. You should just try to build a Fender well intake, if you're trying to do this inexpensively. Also about the warranty you should save your intake that you take off and if something breaks just put the other intake back on before you take it in.

ya, don't be an idiot like me and run a 9" open cone, haha. i have got to fix that soon, it's just to cold outside, anyways do not remove the pulley unless with the pulley puller, no matter what any one says, just like what mybluegtp was telling you. do it right the first time, other wise you could run into big problems.

zack

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
A stock replacement K&N wont but if you change your air box around for the cone its possible but unlikely. There are alot of air box solutions check out some members cars-see what you like.....

Its up to the service manager-some can be real ass****s.

NO-you may hear the SC a little more with an aftermarket air box and 3.4" though.

With a GOOD cool air intake and a 3.4" pulley you should. Provided you car isnt pulling your timming back......KR.

I really dont know how dealerships are treating these issues now adays. It veries-best thing to do is call yours and talk to the service manager and ask him. Tell him what you want to do-try and get some written info. Ask him if tubular exhaust manifolds will void it..

I promise you this-If you got a bunch of serious mods done and your transaxle goes-your going to be sh*t out of luck. They may let something minor slide but will pimp out of that. Also if you have a bunch of electrical changes and stuff-there not going to try and take the time to figure out what you are doing under warrenty. How long do you have on it..?

Originally posted by zeez gtp+Feb 18 2004, 08:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (zeez gtp @ Feb 18 2004, 08:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SweetGTP99@Feb 18 2004, 08:43 PM
i am running a 9" FWI and have no problems but loud sucking noise...... :blink:
If that is directed towards me, ya the fwi is nice, i just have an open cone sucking in all the hot air :D i am still leary of a fwi, i am thinking of building a box soon, when i get the time :( [/b][/quote]
oh ok... I hope you get some time one of these days :wacko: :wacko:

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Here is how warranties work. If you replace the pulley on your s/c, legally all you are voiding is the S/c warranty. Nows ome dealerships are going to try and screw you on any warr. work you do. They will tell you that the pulley caused your tranny failure, or that the extra heat caused the coolant to boil off, ruining your coolant system, but when it comes down to it they are hoping you will except their bullshit. If you argue it, or fight it at all, they will almost always back down. Doing a pulley, ubend removal, and fenderwell intake will NOT void your whole warranty, just your s/c. the catch comes with extended warranties. You should call the company that owns the warranty and find out what their position is on modding.

BC

2KREDGHOST

TCG Elite Member
Nov 13, 2008
Look plain and simple... I bought my GTP and the first thing I put on was a drop in K&N with a 3.4 pulley. I blew my trans took it to the shop and they didn't even notice the pulley. The next time I blew up my tranny I had custom exhaust, 3.4 pulley,and Thrasher intake and still nothing. Well then finally I blew my trans for the third time and again they didn't notice the pulley didn't say nothing about my exhaust except (they like how it sounds) as far as my Thrasher intake goes they didn't care, but I got a new tranny out of it though.hahaha :D :D

The shop manager told me that as long as the aftermarket part you put into your vehicle doesn't cause the problem it should be ok.

Ok example: If you install a cam into your car and you take it to the dealership and tell them you blew your motor if they check and find out you installed a cam you automatically void your warranty. However if you take the cam and put the stock one back in you should be ok. This is alot of work so be very careful what you want to install first.

Things you could install without voiding your warranty:
1. 3.4 pulley(Do not put anything smaller it will be noticable)
2. Custom intake; Thrasher,MSP
3. Custom exhaust
4. Shift kit
5. DHP PCM
6. LSD(Limited slip differential)
7. Install something that wouldn't be so expensive and time consuming to take out later on.

Oh by the way what kind of warranty do you have I hope it's GMPP because if you do have GMPP you could take your car to any GM dealership no matter where your at. This way we could let you know what dealerships are mod friendly.

I hope this helps.

Leo

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info