Transmission rebuild shops

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
true story. my gtp has been on a TEP trans since 07- only "upgraded" hard part- an intense input shaft.

and it's been turbo since.... 09?

it's probably on it's last legs, but hasn't let me down yet... but seriously turbo for 35k miles and 5 years of this trans's life. can't knock that.

I think the stock chains are a lot stronger than people are lead to believe. How many failures of those have there actually been? Granted not a lot of people use them with higher powered cars, but still.

Also, I thought [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] used a guy pretty local to the Naperville area to upgrade some parts in his trans if remember correctly?

Dave Norris at Triple Edge. Triple Edge Performance - Home Page. He is localish (Fort Wayne, IN) and probably the most cost effective best rebuilt 4t65E transmission you can buy.

+1 on TEP. They've been doing these transmissions for years and can make them just about bulletproof.

+1 for Dave at Triple Edge. Over the years I've just towed both the SSEi and GTP down to him to do work. The drive isn't too bad and a straight shot down Rt. 30 once you get to Valparaiso.

true story. my gtp has been on a TEP trans since 07- only "upgraded" hard part- an intense input shaft.

and it's been turbo since.... 09?

it's probably on it's last legs, but hasn't let me down yet... but seriously turbo for 35k miles and 5 years of this trans's life. can't knock that.

I know TEP is solid, but he's priced a bit out of budget even with the most basic rebuild (only changing parts that are 100% worn/broken). The cheapest trans alone from him would cost more than the trans + labor is going to be with the current arrangements made.

BTW, cheapest/best option would be to just get a used trans. Especially if it's a GTP, I would get a GT trans all day. I want to do that to my GTP just because, I hate the 2.93 gearing. So sluggish.

Believe me, that's the first thing we thought of, but with the age and mileage of these cars now, there's a high risk/probability of a junkyard trans either being bad to begin with, or going out not too long after replacing it. Even if it's warrantied, you're still flushing the labor costs of replacing it down the toilet.

Take no offense here but unless you have a low mile rust free example that you plan on keeping for years to come its not worth buying a rebuilt trans for. These cars are pretty much worthless these days. Sell the car as is or put a used GT trans in.

No, you're right. They don't have much value, and this eats up a hefty chunk of it, so from a dollar perspective, it's not worth it. However, I consider most cars out there to be built like crap, so I don't think "upgrading" to something that's 5-10 years old already is going to get you out from under the "mechanic's gun" so to speak. And now you have the possibility of an expensive repair while you're still making payments for the next X years. Plus there's the issue of not having the time to figure out what you want for a replacement car, and once that's figured out, finding one with the color, features, mileage, etc. you want near you, and so on.

This car isn't pristine, but it's in solid shape overall, and is worth repairing to continue driving for another couple years while saving up for/deciding on something under warranty.

Don't want to go through my buddy, D?

To be honest, the price was kinda high for a junkyard replacement, and the labor was about the same as what people around here have been quoting, so it wouldn't have made sense to go through the trouble and cost of getting the car up to WI.

Thanks for the input, guys. The car is currently at a dealer getting a non-dealer rebuilt trans installed with a 3 year parts & labor warranty.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info