fastest highest power 3800 possible or seen?

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
I was out of the game for a while, sold my gtp off in 2004.

I missed out on the final wars of the fastest or highest horespower.

So can someone tell me the fastest 1/4? was it zzp? I think he got in the tens I think with a lot of weight reduction.

What can the 3800 hold as far as power?
I remember seeing 400 hp as pretty normal, especially with the turbo guys.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
you can if you have alot of money to spend somewhere in the 6000+ range for a good trans and converter to hold 500+ hp and be reliable, i toasted my trans twice once with 2000 miles on it and once with 700 both trans were fresh rebuilds with every hard part possible minus the gm racing parts because I wasnt about to spend that kind of money

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
mine made officially 522whp on 17psi and later i would venture to say closer to 600whp on 22psi with a different set of heads and lots of fuel pump, but yeah zzp did like 8.60 ish and 890whp

You fucker. You had 100 more to the wheels than me that whole time we were friendly-shit talking eachother? Hustle on brother, hustle on. :rofl:

(I still think it would have been damn good with the 600lbs or so you had on me.)

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
You fucker. You had 100 more to the wheels than me that whole time we were friendly-shit talking eachother? Hustle on brother, hustle on. :rofl:

(I still think it would have been damn good with the 600lbs or so you had on me.)

lol i thought you knew what you were getting into, what did your car weigh, mine was 3150 on slicks and skinnys it was lightened up quite a bit, I wish i made a track visit with traction and turned up

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
lol i thought you knew what you were getting into, what did your car weigh, mine was 3150 on slicks and skinnys it was lightened up quite a bit, I wish i made a track visit with traction and turned up

I had a fair inkling, I figured I'd just crank the boost five or ten lbs. Hahahaha.

My numbers were with the low boost, no timing and fueling issues. Never found out for sure what she was doing on 30psi with the tune and fueling straightened out though. Only real benchmark I had to go off at that point was butt-dyno and the Coyotes and C6's it was beating on all over the place before parting out. :dunno:

Wow, well that is a hell of a way to finish.
So we couldn't build a trans to hold it? that sucks.

The 4t80e transmission swaps are very easy in the larger cars, I have one in my Park Avenue now. Getting to be more support for that all the time. It's still somewhat untested territory, but there are some comparison threads, just look at the pictures. It's obvious everything is SO MUCH BEEFIER.

If it goes in the Park Ave.. I assume it will goes semi-easily into the Bonerville? Might be relevant in the future some day.

So has anyone figured out the limits of the 3800.. block wise?

Park, Bonneville, and possibly Riviera are easier swaps...just a little clearancing here and there, drilled flexplate, custom mount brackets, relocate a knock sensor, nothing huge really, I was done in a weekend. Making the range switch clear and still function was a neat trick, but as far as bolting it up it was pretty simple. The shift solenoids work differently, but there is now a computer workaround to make the stock computer shift it properly.

Supposedly on the 4-bolt cradle cars the steering rack gets in the way and some cradles have to be notched or something. There are several threads on the swap. James and Dave Norris can definitely help you out if you decide to go for it. The transmissions themselves are so cheap it's stupid.

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
200k short block, did 529whp at 17psi with 255 pump, 3 month old e85 and
virtually no tune work. Ran 10.41's with a slipping converter of doom after
upgrading fuel system anda few more psi.

Dave's been at it a year now getting me a 65e to take any abuse I throw at it.

Plans are for at least 700whp+ on the block.

If I had invested in a PI converter and 3rd piston done on my PRJ trans, it would
have lasted a long time. Had 100+ passes on it, mostly in the 10s with very
little wear at all. Only on 3rd did it show a little.

The converter I have now sitting, will handle over 1000whp. Same one Matt @ ZZP wanted
to do but never pulled the trigger as all his 3800 competition died off.

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
One day maybe, will look into the 80e after at least one person gets single digits
out of one in a single engine FWD only configuration. And see what it took to do
so. It looks very promising.. but I wanna see how low can you go before needing
any rebuilding work. its big and mean, but it will wear.. and it will break. I just
wanna know when :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info