What size turbo for 3800?

32vMonte

Car is broke
Dec 3, 2008
Got a buddy looking to turbo his gtp but doesn't know where to start for turbo sizing. I know he has ported heads, cam, and different pistons. He wants to make atleast 500-600+ with the turbo.

Right now he has gen5 with a small pulley, intercooled etc. he is looking to step it up this year so if anyone give some input on what ppl are using out there to make XXXwhp then let me hear it.

Was thinking a 7065 t4 with .81a/r might work but maybe too big. that is a china knock off but everyone and there mom in the mustang and lsx world have great results with as far as Reliability and power. It is $299 shipped.

Or maybe a tc6665 with same .81 a/r....$650 shipped.

Would either of those work well?

32vMonte

Car is broke
Dec 3, 2008
To4e....is that a t4 flange?

How would you think that 70mm comp and 65mm turbine would do as far as spool?

If I recall HK has the same turbo as I described but it was a master power t7065 with I believe a .81 a/r. Been a long time but I remember seeing it in person.

32vMonte

Car is broke
Dec 3, 2008
What cam? How were the heads ported? Were the exhaust ports opened up (hopefully not much)... Also, what pistons? Non stock pistons on a 3800 would normally make me :io: a thread like this.

Don't know full details, and he's been running them pistons for years now with the blower. I know prj did almost all the work on the car. Been through about five 4000 dollar transmission in the last few years lol.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
To4e....is that a t4 flange?

How would you think that 70mm comp and 65mm turbine would do as far as spool?

If I recall HK has the same turbo as I described but it was a master power t7065 with I believe a .81 a/r. Been a long time but I remember seeing it in person.

to4e is a t4 flange, kevin runs a t3 flange turbo and I believe thats how he gets away with the larger wheel and a/r it actually spools up faster than the t67 i ran but that could also be partly due to his cam choice he has more of a tq bottom end grunt cam than what i ran mine was more of a midrange top end power cam

32vMonte

Car is broke
Dec 3, 2008
Hmm wonder how bad the t4 will hurt spool. I know with an ls t3 t4 spool the same with the same a/r and turbine wheel. Only thing is the t3 holds you back at a certain power level in a twin setup. Other than that they come to life the same. Idk about on a 3.8 liter motor tho haha

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
honestly the to4e t67 is the 3800 go to for big power, im sure there are better suited turbos out there it just depends on if its going to be a drag car or a street car as to what would work better, on a street car i would want it to spool faster the t67 would be about the biggest i would run, when i was building a 3800 camaro I bought a precision 7275 but the car had a trans brake to help spool it up at the line

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I wouldn't run an .81 t4 turbo unless he has a loose converter. Even HKs car takes a little after the line for the turbo to get kicking, probably just as long as a t67 t4 with a .69a/r turbine side. His turbo is probably the best comprimise for size vs spool. If I were to build a 3800, thats what I would use. I'd build mine faster though :s00ls:

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Yea .82 t3 and its a T70, not sure on the exhaust wheel though, maybe P trim?
[MENTION=45]Handsome Jesus[/MENTION] knows all :nutz:

Besides the cam and all that other jazz, including I have turbo headers, its also the converter stall, when James had them change it from 2750 iirc to now 3k, oh my, what a difference

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
Higher compression engine will be able to spool a lot more in a shorter period.

As mentioned, HK has a Masterpower T70 with a .83 T3 flange. I think it works fairly well, but I think the compressor is too big for his car. The turbine side gets it going OK, but the car "rubber band"s pretty bad (pull back a rubber band and let it go, that's what it is like once the compressor gets going)

honestly I think everyone goes too big with turbos lately, where there are gains to be had when running a smaller compressor wheel more efficiently. The new 62 wheels are efficient and light weight, so they should come on faster and deliver plenty of power. I think a 60-62mm turbo on E85 will make your goals and spool like a beast. Run the boost way up high, have a decent intercooler, and it'll make big power.

the real thing to do is buy a RWD car. I went into the 10s with a 58mm compressor and a .63 GN housing (smaller than T3). Meth injection (100%, no water BS) and 93.

:s00ls:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
The 61 spooled so fast there was zero need to stall spool it. The one time I took it to the track it was a (forget the term) floor it from a stop, no spool = .1.71 60'

As DD said, the right turbo sizing with your setup is everything.

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
GTX3076 (not the regular GT3076)

Amazing street turbo. Instant spool, good power. Able to make a lot of boost on a stock engine.

Loved it.

My 500$ parts car (with TD turbo kit) with small slicks went 11.0 @ 126mph with it with weight reduction. My heavier daily driver 2007 GP GT went 12.0 @ 117 mph at lower boost on the pump gas tune.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info